Michelle's Reviews > Beyond Exile

Beyond Exile by J.L. Bourne

Apr 16, 13

Read from January 16 to June 22, 2011

I enjoyed this book just as much as I enjoyed the first one. I think combining a very first person narrative with a this genre really works, for me anyway.

I think that the original premise was a great idea, and I did adore the first book and getting to know the characters and getting to know how each character became part of the main story was what still leaves Book One lingering as my favourite of the two.

However, I do think Bournes writing style has shied away from the 'Dear Diary' style that was used a little more deliberately in the first book. Although it is still there in the second book, I feel that Bourne has refined his writing style in a way that sucks you straight into the action of each journal entry. You almost forget about the format of the book.

The narrator of the book is what keeps you there, he's likeable, you want to know what happens to him, but he's also well trained and a tough character to beat. I think the moments where he feels like giving in are some of the best written throughout the two books. You really feel for this guy! This book is definitely more based around him than the first one.

I have to say, the end of the book leaves me wanting more! I read the last page and literally sat there and said "is that it" and "well, what happens next." I would love to read another book. I think it's more about the character than really needing any kind of conclusion, but I want to know what happens to the characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Exile.