Lin's Reviews > Harold the King

Harold the King by Helen Hollick

Jun 10, 11

Read from January 01 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy

Harold the King – the year 1066 is one of the most famous dates in English History. We know a lot about the history after the Norman Conquest but not much before that. Helen Hollick brings this whole period to life. The Harold I knew about was an usurper so I didn’t feel his losing the battle was so terrible. After reading this book I wish that somehow Harold had prevailed. It would have been interesting to see what England would have become under his rulership.

The story starts with Edward (later known as the Confessor) and his inept rule. How Harold eventually becomes king, his continued battle with his barons who because of jealously would not support him and later their betrayal

The author made the following comment – 1066 is know as the Norman Conquest, but it is worth remembering that although William had himself crowned king, and while most of the male English aristorcacy were replaced by Normans, the ordinary English – the Saxons – remained English. England was ruled by Normans but never became Norman – if that had happened, we would be speaking French, not English ….
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold the King.