Viohlet's Reviews > How to Marry a Marquis

How to Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: publisher-avon, historical-1800s, 3rd-person-pov, heroine-5-blonde, betrayal, blackmail-extortion-etc, hero-spy, deception, favorites, hero-2-g-l, hero-dark-mysterious-and-oh-so-sexy, hero-i-loved, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-protective-possessive, hero-shitty-past, hero-to-die-for, heroine-1-a-f, heroine-i-liked, heroine-poor-destitute-etc, heroine-shitty-past, heroine-wallflower-spinster, humourous-funny, in-disguise-hidden-secret-identity, love-at-first-sight, majorly-awesome-hero, majorly-awesome-heroine, making-assumptions, minor-tstl, hero-marquess-marquis, series, read-4-loved, read-in-2011, rrrc-challenge, set-in-english-country, stars-5, tstl-secondary-characters, violence-abuse, we-can-never-be-together-angst, younger-siblings-to-look-after
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read from April 09 to 11, 2011

** spoiler alert ** * Read this for the RRRC Challenge. This is the 'Taxes are Due' category *

* The only reason I didn't finish this yesterday was because I obsessively played and completed Empress of the Deep I and II XD *

I really enjoyed this. There was so much 'we can't be together' angst (for which I'm a major sucker for) and my heartstrings were regularly pulled, and I loved it.

To be honest, I've never been particularly fond of Lady Danbury, so I was rather indifferent to her the whole way through. Caroline was a bit nosy and interferring so, I don't know about her either lol. Susan was a little too old for 14. She probably wouldn't have come across as such an interfering bitch if the character had been a few years older and actually had some idea of what she was talking about and a better grasp of the situation. Jane and Lucas were both adorable XD

I loved Elizabeth. She was so clumsy, but so adorable, and she was really easy to relate to. I really liked that she was reluctant to follow all of the 'Edicts' even though she had Susan foisting them on her constantly. But of course, Elizabeth had a couple of bad moments. Her pride needed it's own zip code, and as was pointed out a few times toward the end of the novel, she was sacrifing her family's needs to avoid a blow to her pride, which irked me so much.

Also, I was really hoping that for once, when the Big Reveal came, the heroine wouldn't act like such a petulant brat, and might for once, actually show a modicum of maturity, instead of ranting and raving when she doesn't have the whole story, and looks even more the fool, because she refuses to listen to the whole story. So yeah, this is really the only thing that brought my rating of the story down.

James on the other hand. Was just wow. He wasn't your typical hero, in that he didn't pretend he didn't feel what he felt, or try to pass it off as just a passing fancy or whatever. Once he realized he was in love with Elizabeth, that was it.
Yes, he concealed his identity, at the request of Lady D, and actually I had this conversation just last night, in that I could understand him being hesitant to tell Elizabeth the truth, because he wants to be loved and wanted for himself, and not his money and social status.

About halfway through the novel, I started to suspect that Lady Danbury had engineered the entire "blackmail" thing, so it wasn't a surprise when she revealed that she had.

I really loved the epilogue. It was so adorable.

This is an immensely enjoyable novel, despite it's less likeable elements, (which ALL books have) and I'd recommend it to anyone. 4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Marry a Marquis.

Quotes Viohlet Liked

Julia Quinn
“James - "Are you paying attention or just trying to make me look like an idoit?"
Elizabeth - "Oh, I'm definately paying attention. If you look like an idiot it has nothing to do with me.”

Julia Quinn
“James started to laugh. His chin hurt where she'd smacked him twice, his foot throbbed where she'd stepped on it, and his entire body felt as if he'd swum through a rosebush, which wasn't as far off the truth as it sounded. Yet still he started to laugh.”

Julia Quinn
“Elizabeth, you resemble nothing so much as a hen trying to hatch a book.”