Viohlet's Reviews > An Offer From a Gentleman

An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: publisher-avon, historical-1800s, 3rd-person-pov, based-on-fairytale-myth-etc, career-maid-butler-servant-etc, we-can-never-be-together-angst, supporting-characters-awesome, stars-5, set-in-london, set-in-english-country, series-follows-family, read-in-2011, read-4-loved, series, nobility-sir-gentry-other, minor-characters-you-wish-were-dead, majorly-awesome-heroine, majorly-awesome-hero, love-at-first-sight, in-disguise-hidden-secret-identity, humourous-funny, heroine-willowy-tall-awkward-etc, heroine-shitty-past, heroine-poor-destitute-etc, heroine-i-loved, heroine-4-s-z, heroine-5-blonde, hero-to-die-for, hero-protective-possessive, hero-i-loved, hero-1-a-f, favorites, children-born-adopted-etc, betrayal, blackmail-extortion-etc
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read from March 29 to 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Yet another wonderful Bridgerton book. I must admit, this was somewhat darker than the others I've previously read, so it's hard to compare them, as the dynamic was vastly different.

Again, I love every member of the Bridgerton family and I also loved that events that were referenced in Romancing Mister Bridgerton actually happened in this (as opposed to being created for that book alone). It did wonders for continuity, and made the series flow all the better.

I loved the heroine, Sophie. She was so beaten down by her odious (honestly, there is not a word or even an expression to describe how positively awful Araminta was), stepmother, it's a wonder she even managed to drag herself out of bed, let alone disappear and make some semblance of a life for herself. I loved that she stuck to her guns (especially about the mistress thing, as I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the mistress thing), and was adamant that her adult life would not be a re-run of her mother's.

Benedict was almost (not quite) as charming as Colin. He did have his jerkish moments though, but he wasn't quite as bad as Simon in The Duke And I so I supposed he can be forgiven for that. The way he kept pushing for the mistress thing really peeved me, but it was all resolved in the end. (Duh)

Another humorous and witty in the Bridgerton series, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to finishing them all. Highly recommended, 5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Offer From a Gentleman.

Quotes Viohlet Liked

Julia Quinn
“It suddenly made sense. Only twice in his life had he felt this inexplicable, almost mystical attraction to a woman. He’d thought it remarkable, to have found two, when in his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.

His heart had been right. There was only one.”
Julia Quinn, An Offer From a Gentleman

Julia Quinn
“He ought to buy her a new dress. She would never accept it, of course, but maybe if her current garments were accidentally burned...

...But how could he manage to burn her dress? She’d have to not be wearing it, and that posed a certain challenge in and of itself...”
Julia Quinn, An Offer From a Gentleman