Julianna's Reviews > Mubu & Mu-Mu: The Little Animal Doctor

Mubu & Mu-Mu by Peter Alexander

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, desert-island-keepers, read-2011
Recommended for: Fans of Animal Stories, Books Based on Real-Life, Colorful Picture Books
Read on January 09, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reviewed for THC Reviews
Mubu & Mu-Mu: The Little Animal Doctor is a lovely children's book based on the true story of Lek Chailert, the director of the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand. Ms. Chailert has won numerous honors and awards for her work with animals, a talent which apparently surfaced when she was a young child. In my experience, kids really enjoy animals stories, and so do I. This alone made Mubu & Mu-Mu a joy to read. Knowing that it was something that really happened made it all the more special. The book has a rich narrative that can teach kids about the importance of animal conservation and that wild animals belong in their own habitats with their families.

The illustrations are vibrantly colorful and sure to catch a child's eye (they certainly drew my attention). Some of the vocabulary and sentence structure is a little more complex which might not be conducive to younger children reading alone, but it would be a great book for read-aloud story-time. At the end of the main story, there is a section about Mu-Mu which will teach children facts about gibbons and their habitats, another section about Mubu which tells about what Lek Chailert's life was like growing up, and last but not least a letter to readers from Ms. Chailert herself. I really enjoyed reading Mubu & Mu-Mu and wish that my own kids were still young enough to appreciate picture books, but it looks like the story should stand up to the test of time and will be a great keeper to share with grandkids or other children. It appears that Mubu & Mu-Mu is the first in a planned series of six books about Mubu's adventures with the animals, and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next one, Mubu and the Ghosts & the Tiger. Part of the proceeds from the sale of each book is being donated to the Save the Elephants Foundation.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the author via the publicist, Bostick Communications, in exchange for my review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mubu & Mu-Mu.

01/10/2011 page 32
100.0% "Really cute children's book. Review coming soon."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Aww, this sounds really good! Great review, Julie!

Julianna Thanks, Angelc! Yeah, it was a really cute story.