faeriemyst's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Normally I wouldn't write a review if I didn't read at least half of the book in question, but I'm obligated by Amazon Vine to give my honest opinion about a product. I yielded at 170 pages and refuse to force myself to read something I am not enjoying in the least.

First off I cannot feel sympathy for the protagonist, Ellie, which is essential in a book like this. She's a shallow character who wasn't brought to life in the pages I read. It's hard to relate to a girl who has everything she could possibly want, saving her daddy's love, and while that can be possible in other books, it wasn't the case with this one. The concept sounded interesting and is what drew me to the book, but as I read, it just felt like a very, very poor imitation of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the television series) with minor differences. The truth is that a better writer could have overcome all these issues and made them his or her own. Quite possibly, even this book may have ended up being a good if many more rewrites and editing had been undertaken. Unfortunately the writing is weak, most especially the dialogue, and nothing inspired me to read on or to care what happens. Most of what I read was a question and answer session between Ellie and her Guardian, Will, which was very irritating to read. I urge all authors not to do this. Perhaps ANGELFIRE is too young for most adults and better suited for teens, but that's up to the reader in question.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

01/09/2011 page 29
01/13/2011 page 57
12.0% "I don't really feel like dealing with teens, so this is going on hold for now. :/"
01/29/2011 page 106
23.0% "Besides the obvious differences, so far this appears to be a poor Buffy rip-off. The writing is serviceable, but the main character is a shallow little twit whom I'm having major trouble sympathizing with." 2 comments
01/30/2011 page 170
37.0% "Ooh, scawy, scawy reapers...what's a poor little rich girl to do? Well, call for her tall, dark, and brooding protector, that's what!"
02/12/2011 page 170
37.0% "Fuhgettaboutit. So not worth torturing myself about."

lilly bear ♡ I was totally getting a Buffy vibe, too. A watered-down version.

faeriemyst Thanks for the comment. Yeah, if the author wasn't a fan of the show, you could knock me over with a feather. :)

Ashlee I could not stand the question and answer "sessions" either. I only can stand so many questions at once.

message 4: by Viccy (new)

Viccy I tried, really I tried to read it, but like you was so not impressed by Ellie.

faeriemyst I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Camilla I felt the same. It was really hard to continue reading. I only finished because I hate starting something and not finishing it lol

message 7: by Viccy (new)

Viccy As a librarian, I give you permission to stop reading books you don't like. There are too many good ones out there to waste time on bad ones.

Camilla lol you're right. I have a whole list of books that I want to read and that I SHOULD be reading as oppose to the crappy ones.

Maia im a teen- 16 years old- and i had to force myself to read this! Ellie did stuff i do over here in Australia (shop, get coffee, go to parties) but all that stuff isnt interesting to read about when i do it in everyday life and i've bought a book on what i though would be all angels and monsters. and the monsters? they werent even scary! so yeah, not for adults but also not for all teens!