Kyleigh's Reviews > Trance

Trance by Linda Gerber

Jan 09, 11

Trance was another novel I went into not knowing all that much about. Synopsis didn’t give me a great feel for the plot and well it was just intriguing enough to draw my attention. There were some pretty cool things about Trance that I really enjoyed. A lot of fresh, new ideas into the realm of YA fiction that has me pretty excited.

I really enjoyed Ashlyn’s POV. She was such a refreshing character as well. For once it was nice to have an MC that was just able to break down and cry. Someone who didn’t bottle up their emotions, but still had trouble opening up to people. Ever since she was a child, Ashlyn and her sister have had “trances”. Each of them completing the other’s vision. During these trances they write down long numeric equations. The significance of these numeric equations is unknown, but Ashlyn knows that they spell certain trouble for someone she knows. Ashlyn is wracked with guilt for ignoring the Trance that killed her mother. Her sister has disappeared from Ashlyn’s life, her father is so wrapped up in his work that she never sees him much less talks to him. She feels utterly alone, despite her best friend. Unable to confide in anyone, and when the trances suddenly come back in full force Ashlyn doesn’t know who to turn to. These trances of a car crash at first seem like the trance she should have had about her mother. However, she quickly discovers that these visions are a warning that yet another person she loves is in terrible danger, and it’s up to Ashlyn to discover how to save them.
Ashlyn is a very compatible MC and I really did like her. At times I wish she had a little more backbone, but at the same time it was nice to have an MC who was a nice medium. Not a killer ass amazon, yet not a damsel in distress. She just seemed like someone I would really get along well with. When it came down to the critical moments in the novel, she really pulled through for me. I really liked Jake as well. And ya he may be a musical genius, and rides a motorcycle that he restored himself, and is just the most perfect guy ever (drools here) and I may be a bit biased here. Okay… a lot. He was awesome okay? Believe me. Perfect guy. You’ll understand when you read it. He was just genuinely a nice guy with his own flaws but that just made him more real in my mind. Everyone has little personality flaws, and I found his very endearing and minor at that.
The whole “trance” idea I thought was very cool. I mean at first I was wondering how the heck the whole trances plus numerical equations related and how the author was possibly going to explain it, but it worked out well. I don’t want to spoil it, so I will pretty much stop right there. It was highly original and the author did an amazing job of taking some of the wild speculation of the universe and twisting it into an amazing story.
Trance was unique, the characters loveable, and just all around a great story. Plus a major twisted ending. Definitely had me on edge! Can’t wait for more!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trance.