Hedy's Reviews > Golden Country

Golden Country by Jennifer Gilmore

Mar 10, 14

Read in January, 2011

As the Borders on Michigan Avenue sadly closed, books were marked down. A lot. I purchased this book for seventy-nine cents (which may seem like nothing, but I got five-ish books for a penny each). Like others have said, this is a story about three family stories of Jewish immigrants intertwining. At first, I loved this book. There were a few hours where I could just not stop reading it. But at about page 150, I lost interest. All the characters were predictable - and someone else said it here best. No one was happy. Gilmore must not be happy if she is married, because out of about five married couples, only one seemed mildly happy. That was disappointing. As a fourteen-year-old girl, it's also quite disheartening to hear that romance is gone once marriage happens. I hope that's not true!

There were other aspects of the book were a bit off-putting as well. Characters would have these epiphanies that were silly. One character was so likable, but then she decided to become a star and marry the man who invented television. Looking back on it, some parts of the story were actually ridiculously stupid. Gilmore did have great connections between the characters, but there was nothing that made me think, "Wow! I want to write like that."

Worth seventy-nine cents? Definitely.
Worth my time? Maybe not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Country.