Tatiana's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: aus-nz, 2011, fantasy, favorites, ya, ala-ya-2013, 2012
Read from October 13, 2011 to September 30, 2012, read count: 2

As seen on The Readventurer

You know what is sad? That Froi of the Exiles is #76 on the Goodreads list of most popular books released this October, while Silence is #1. Will Melina Marchetta ever get the acknowledgement she deserves? Will her publishers ever promote her books the way they deserve to be promoted? I mean, so much effort and money is put into hyping garbage, why not put it towards something worthy? Very few people I'd recommended this author's novels disliked them, so would it be really that risky to market them properly? Ok, I think I've reached my ranting quota for the day. Let's talk about something more heartwarming - Froi of the Exiles.

Finnikin of the Rock was a fine fantasy novel in itself, but I think there is more of everything in its sequel. There is more heartache, more pain, more adventure, more mystery, more secrets, more magic, more intrigue and more madness.

Three years after the breaking of the Lumateran curse Froi is sent to neighboring Charyn on a revenge mission. What first is thought to be a simple avenge-and-escape task, quickly becomes something more when Froi learns of a curse hanging over Charyn, a curse that is even more horrifying than the Lumateran one. And the person who seems to suffer the most because of it is the half-mad Princess of Charyn Quintana. Hers is the unbearable and thankless burden to save the country which is about to explode from the inside.

Now, I will refrain from saying more about the plot to stay away from inadvertently revealing secrets and plot twists. Trust me, there are many. But I will tease you with a few things: Quintana - she broke my heart, a poor girl who has to serve her land by doing things most degrading; Lucian - I was ashamed of him in the beginning, I was in pain for him in the end; Froi - he has become a man of wondrous strength and depth and he might have met his match - someone of equal passion and darkness of soul. These are only a few familiar characters that took possession of my heart, but there are more, equally fierce and unforgettable - a couple of old men with dark pasts, a defiant whore, a stuttering idiot girl who finds her worth in spite of everyone calling her useless.

It won't be a proper Melina Marchetta book review if I don't mention how much I cried over it. And, of course, I did quite a bit. I cried because I felt shame and of pity and in triumph.

Froi of the Exiles is a huge book. It is so big, I am actually surprised it wasn't split into two, because, if you look at it, the climax of the story happens at about half way point. But for such a lengthy book, it is surprisingly unputdownable and very tightly written.

You also need to know that this is only a half of the story. The cliffhanger is big, softened only by a mercifully hopeful epilogue.

I remember Marchetta promised not more than a year between publications of Froi of the Exiles and Quintana of Charyn. I sure hope it's true. I foresee this wait to be quite agonizing.

P.S. Many have been asking where we got this book released only in Australia at this point. Check here:

185 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

Quotes Tatiana Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Quintana of Charyn's body was a map of hatred.”
Melina Marchetta, Froi of the Exiles

10/13/2011 page 1
0.0% "I am only on page 1 and I almost cried already." 11 comments
10/14/2011 page 150
25.0% "@.@"

Bethzaida Join Ode 2 Melina Marchetta group on goodreads for a chance to participate in the Froi of the Exile US book tour. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...
For more info in the book tour please email me at ode2mm@gmail.com

Emily I am so jealous you've got this!!

Catie YEAH!!

message 4: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. You mean another good Marchetta novel? I love her. Can't wait.

Tatiana Yeah! I need to digest it for a bit. It's a HUGE book

message 6: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. It better be huge, the more the better. I can read her forever.

Catie I hope Quintana of Charyn is even longer.

Tatiana I hope there are books in that world after Quintana. Long ones.

message 9: by Nomes (new)

Nomes Wow. What a review (!)

MM seems to go from strength to strength with her books. She truly is in a league of her own.

message 10: by Alkyoni (last edited Oct 15, 2011 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alkyoni I don't know what Melina Marchetta's publishers are going to do, but I (and many other people, surely) have read your reviews about her books and I have already ordered two of them, even though I have never heard of her before. So, what I'm saying is, even if her publishers don't publicize her works the way you believe they ought to, as long as there are places like this and inspired reviews like yours, good books won't go unnoticed.

Chris I must say the same as Alkyoni. The reviews on this site were what originally encouraged me to read Marchetta's books and even though I have only read three of them at this stage, she is probably my favourite author now :D

message 12: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 16, 2011 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Alkyoni, Chris, it makes me so happy to read your responses! Because I often get very frustrated when I can't even find Marchetta's books in the bookstores or libraries while their shelves are flooded with garbage. But thankfully we have a very strong Marchetta following here, on GR. Maybe we all can spread the word about her talents wide enough.

message 13: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. "Because I often get very frustrated when I can even find Marchetta's books in the bookstores or libraries while their shelves are flooded with garbage." Amen to that, although I think you mean can't :)

My bookstores only carry Finnikin of the Rock and I want a copy of each of her books but am reluctant to buy online. Also, I love Goodreads. C'est awesome.

Tatiana Oh, yes, that's what I meant. Thank you.

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Hanneybean is really looking forward to this sequel. She'll be glad to know it was a winner!

Good review (as always) :)

Tatiana I am guessing she is a bigger fan of Marchetta that you are?:)

Kat Kennedy What is sad is that here in Australia, the one place Marchetta SHOULD get her due, nobody reads her.

I've pushed many books on my friends that I've loved but they all refuse to read Marchetta. Teachers at Mr Kennedy's school refuse to read them. Our families turn their nose up at them, etc!

message 18: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 16, 2011 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana But WHY, Kat? WHY?

Do Australians prefer dumb American stuff too?

Kat Kennedy It boils down to a cultural thing, Tatiana. We call it Small Poppy Syndrome. Pretty much any Australian that becomes "too big for their britches" is held in contempt. We seem to hate a big level of success. Particularly in women because Hugh Jackman and Eric Banner seem to be solely immune to this.

Kat Kennedy We're strange people.

message 21: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 16, 2011 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana So, what kind of books ARE popular there? Don't tell me Becca Fitzpatrick and Cassandra Clare are bestselling authors in Australia too.

Kat Kennedy They are, but only to the teenagers like in America. It's very ecclectic tastes. They like Gaiman, either love or hate Piccault, classic Australian literature is a big topic for hipsters. Women here seem to LOVE them the romances. Biographies and memoirs are strangely a favourite.

But to some up the majority of my associate's reading habits: magazines.

Tatiana YA is not as big there as it is here then?

And what is classic Australian literature? I have no clue.

Kat Kennedy Banjo Patterson, Lawrence are our two big poets. Then there's books from our diggers about the war (infinitely popular with the young men).

Eh, mostly outback/bush stuff.

To be honest I've not touched a lot of it because I spent most of my schooling in another country.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "I am guessing she is a bigger fan of Marchetta that you are?:)"

Yes, I read (and liked) Jellicoe Road (3 stars) but I don't think I'd read anything else by her.

Reynje Tatiana wrote: "YA is not as big there as it is here then?

And what is classic Australian literature? I have no clue."

Patrick White and Randolph Stow? - off the top of my head. I attempted both when I was younger, but never made much headway.

Actually, it's quite sad that I can't list more than that on the fly - because there is definitely some great Australian literature out there that seems to go largely unnoticed..

message 27: by Catie (last edited Oct 16, 2011 02:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catie Sadly I think that it's the same over here. Goodreads is such a tiny subset of the population. I would say that the vast majority of Americans don't read at all, or if they do, it's magazines. Sad sad world.

Tatiana I volunteer at my local library and from what I see, many people do read, but very few read anything beyond what is displayed on Wal-Mart book shelves - James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, and the likes. The most do not look for anything other than what is given to them. And I sort of understand that.

When I moved to US I read pretty much the same selection of books because I didn't know what else was out there. Finding Goodreads expanded my horizons tremendously.

Kat Kennedy Thomas - I lived in Indonesia before coming to Australia.

Tatiana - I agree. It's difficult to find books that catch your attention and that you have a reasonable idea will be good. GoodReads is such a great resource for this!

Rosanne Another 5 star MM review! Yay, can't wait to read it :)

message 31: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth And to think I didn't know this was out yet... did you get an Australian copy?

Tatiana Beth wrote: "And to think I didn't know this was out yet... did you get an Australian copy?"

Yes, it was Catie's Australian book.

message 33: by Megan (last edited Oct 16, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Megan Catie wrote: "...I would say that the vast majority of Americans don't read at all, or if they do, it's magazines. Sad sad world. "

My co-workers all read celebrity gossip and hair magazines but call them "books" They don't read actual books though, so it drives me nuts every time they talk about reading the latest "book" and it's really some very low brow magazine.

Kat Kennedy Our magazines are so offensively stupid that they should be declared a public indecency and banned. They photoshopped our prime minister into a wedding dress and published it as a news story on how Julia Gillard was planning to get married.

Can you imagine if an American Publication photoshopped Obama into Kuwanzaa dress and said he was converting?

Amanda Croley I have looked for this book all over since the Oct. 3 release date. I am guessing it is only available in Australia at this point?

Megan Sadly, I don't think Froi of the Exiles is released in the US until March 12, 2012.I've read everything Marchetta has written and I can't wait to get my hands on this! Thanks for the great review Tatiana.

Amanda Croley I thought so.. I guess we have to wait until then.

Mayomi Thank you so much for adding the link to order the book. Truly appreciated ;)

Meagan I so agree with your beginning rant! Melina Marchetta is incredible, the world NEEDS to know her!

Tatiana I hope that day never comes, Jillian.

message 41: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie I agree so much with your assessment of Marchetta. She is unparalleled! I wish more people would recognize her brilliance. So far, everyone I've recommended her work to has been bowled over by the sheer awesomeness. It really is disappointing to know that she is not getting the recognition she deserves. She should be on every best-seller list!

Stephanie Tatiana, I can't stop weeping. I cried so much through this book. My heart broke for so many, and yet I still have hope. Pls keep me posted if you get any word on an ARC for QoC. The wait is already painful.

Tatiana To my chagrin, I am not even sure MM has even started on Quintana:(

Stephanie She's started, but it looks like it's no where near completion. This is why I hate starting series without knowledge that the last book is near release. But I couldn't resist. I was in a reading slump and Melina has never failed me. I trust he more than any other writer in these times.

Brandi I'm crushed that I wasn't able to buy this like I thought I could with the release date listed as already passed. I didn't know that GR was fallible. I think I might cry. This was my first MM book, and it was your review Tatiana (as well as a few of the other people I follow) who got me interested in this story. I'm so grateful that you read this and it popped up into my home feed. I am going to read her other novels too! She is wonderful. I'm still upset over the tease about this book though. Oh, and like always, you write the most wonderful reviews! I look at them all and they have added to my tbl many times, as well as expanded my tastes in books. Thank you for that.

message 46: by Tatiana (last edited Nov 19, 2011 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Thanks, Brandi.

Brandi Tatiana wrote: "Thanks, Brandi.

The release date is indeed correct though. Only it was first released in Australia. US readers will have to wait for next year, unless they want to order the book from overseas."

i will have to do that. Was I correct in not seeing a Kindle version listed on the site you provided?

message 48: by Tatiana (last edited Nov 19, 2011 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana The way I understand it, you can only buy Kindle books on Amazon, and US Amazon users can't but Australian books. Copyright issues.

Brandi Tatiana wrote: "The way I understand it, you can only buy Kindle books on Amazon, and US Amazon users can't but Australian books. Copyright issues."

Ok, good to know, thank you for helping me out during this time of misery. :)

message 50: by Jami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jami Okay, so apparently I DID read your review when you first wrote it, and I liked it. Well, I still like it! So here's the real question: has it been released in the US yet?

« previous 1