Sarah's Reviews > The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2010

642041
Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: anthologies
Read from January 09 to May 31, 2011

I have love, love, loved this series, but this is the first one that felt like a bit of a slog. I bought it in December, read the opening essay and the short bits (Part I) in January, and then read a piece or two a month for the entire first half of the year. Normally I read the whole thing the day I buy it. I love the humor of the first section, and the eclectic mix that normally fills the rest: fiction, non-fiction, comics. There were some interesting pieces, but they were evenly matched by less interesting ones. The non-fiction caught my attention more than the fiction. The highlight for me was an excerpt from The Photographer: Into War-Torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without Borders, though the panels were a little hard to read in this cramped format; I have that book sitting by my bed waiting to be read. I guess as long as this series still brings attention to books like that it's viable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2010.

Jackie "the Librarian" I go through phases where nonfiction holds my attention better, too, Sarah. Like when my life is more interesting than most fiction.

Sarah With non-fiction the subject matter and approach matter more in a short piece, so if it's a good topic and a decent writer, I'll get something out of the piece. With short fiction, there are still the questions of: Do I like the characters? Do I like the writer's style? How about the plot? And any one of those gone wrong makes it less worth reading. I usually approve of the nonfiction selections in these books, but the choices made in comics and the short stories often seem more arbitrary.