Hallie's Reviews > The Mermaid's Madness

The Mermaid's Madness by Jim C. Hines

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 09 to 13, 2011

I don't know how to rate this! I think it's very well done, and think the idea of taking three of the most famous fairy tale princesses and following what happens after "ever after" (for Cinderella), or telling the *real* story (Snow White and Sleeping Beauty) is a great one. But I don't think the way it's done is exactly my cup of tea. Which isn't to say anything critical about the books, as this really is a personal preference thing. I think what I find hard is the mix of really dark - and not just dark in the past that'll be all happily sorted once this adventure is sorted - and comic. Or maybe it's the particular type of humour, more than the fact that it's a mixture of the two.

Honestly don't know for sure, but whatever it was, I was able to appreciate the book more than loving it and sinking into it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Madness.

Melissa I like how you worded that last bit-- Appreciating the book more than loving it and sinking into it. That's how I felt about the first book of the series. I actually really liked this one and didn't have that problem, but I can understand how someone would. This kind of book really is all about personal preference.