Caris's Reviews > Crab's Moon

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, pulp
Recommended to Caris by: Michael
Read from January 09 to 11, 2011

I fucking love these books. Guy N. Smith is my goddamned hero.

There’s no explaining it. My horror phase quickly fizzled out when I was in high school. I’ve never looked back. But then, all of a sudden, Michael introduces me to these crazy pulp novels about gigantic killer crabs and I’m hooked.

They’re the perfect palate cleanser. I’ve been reading a lot of Cormac McCarthy lately and was getting rather bogged down by the seriousness of his literary efforts. His books are pretty amazing, but they’re draining. Smith’s books, on the other hand, require nothing other than your attention. You pick the paperback up and it reads itself.

I actually enjoyed this one more than Killer Crabs. I think my first foray into Smith’s work was tainted with indecision: Should I waste my time on this? This is stupid and schlocky, but looks awesome. It can’t be as awesome as it looks can it?

It took me an entire book to cast my judgement. By the time I was finished, I knew I had just read something great, but I’d wasted the experience trying to figure out how I felt about it. I was too much in my head and not enough on the page. This go ‘round, though, I was ready.

So there’s a summer vacation spot and it’s being attacked by giant crabs. They sever people’s heads from their necks with a well timed pinch. They have the ability to carry entire army tanks off with them. And, like before (or later, rather, as I’m reading this shit all out of order), they’re impervious to the best efforts of the army. They’re fucking badass.

I absolutely love the characters. There are many repeats from Killer Crabs: the hero, the nympho, the greedy asshole. None of the characters appear in both novels, but their stereotypes do. And I loved seeing these get killed as much as I loved seeing the others get killed. Another unlikely to be repeated character made an appearance as well: a briefcase full of money. It’s nutty how much Smith allows me to love his imagination while, simultaneously, recycling the same plot over and over. I thought I was better than that.

But I’m not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crab's Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris I thought it was the other crabs.

Strangely I feel a little disappointed.

karen these books make me so jealous

message 3: by Caris (last edited Jan 11, 2011 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caris Chris wrote: "I thought it was the other crabs.

Strangely I feel a little disappointed."

I think a therapist can help you with that.

message 4: by Joel (new)

Joel a long time ago on usenet people used to give books and fan-fic the MST3K treatment. this sounds like a good candidate.

Caris karen wrote: "these books make me so jealous"

Michael would probably be willing to share. Especially if you can barter. He's like an old timey street vendor.

Caris Joel wrote: "a long time ago on usenet people used to give books and fan-fic the MST3K treatment. this sounds like a good candidate."

I think you're right.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Manny Since you seem to have made this genre your own, you may like to know there's a giant killer crab attack scene in Brian Stableford's Cradle of the Sun. I'm racking my brains to see if I can come up with any more, but that's it for now.

Caris I'll have to give that a look. Thank you.

And if anyone knows of any movies with giant killer crabs, please send them my way.

Caris I got them from Michael. Most are available on Amazon, but they're British. So they're a little more expensive and elusive than they should be.

Caris Have you seen this movie?

message 11: by Joel (new)

Joel they are around $3 each for kindle but what is the point if you can enjoy the covers?

message 12: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas K.I. wrote: "No, I just did a google for it. It's selling on amazon for $1000!!!"

they have copies here for 1.00 not 1000.00

message 14: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas there's a movie!? i need to make a G real fast.

message 15: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas just found Island Claws movie for free. email me if you want it.

Caris William Thomas wrote: "http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc..."

Thanks! That's the cheapest I've seen Smith's books.

Caris William Thomas wrote: "just found Island Claws movie for free. email me if you want it."

What format?

message 18: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas online, sorry I din't mention that. rar file extension avi i believe.

message 19: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Caris wrote: "Douche douche douche, douche douche douche douche douche!"

Caris William Thomas wrote: "online, sorry I din't mention that. rar file extension avi i believe."

I'd take that shit.