Book_lover's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

U 50x66
Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: candy-reads, vampire, fantasy, tru-luv, young-adult

** spoiler alert ** When someone works with this particular age group, or is going to be working with this age group, you need to know what is going on with the stuff they are reading. That's why I read Twilight, and I found myself frustrated with the book.

I dislike Bella, because she is self-centered, and how much so is evident within the first chapter. A lot of what she spouts off about herself doesn't match up with what I read. For example, she says she is a well read individual, but that felt thrown in to hold her above her fellow students as being better read then they were, simply because she had already read the books.

I am also floored at the level of disrespect she shows her parents. In a world where the children are respecting their elders less and less, we don't need to be giving young impressionable children these books. There are far better books out there, that teach children the morals they need, and aren't always getting.

I also disliked Edward. I felt the abuse was rather evident in the books. It isn't simply him sneaking into her bedroom. He is rough with her, and the excuse that she is human and he has lived longer doesn't work, not when the way you learn is by messing up. It is sad that certain fans can't see this aspect of him.

I did like Alice though. Alice had this bubbly personality about her, not to mention she was very likable. I think... in the long run, I would much rather read a story about her, then Bella. And it isn't because she is a stronger female. No, it is because her character is actually interesting, despite the overall flatness of the character cast.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.