Estara's Reviews > Treachery in Death

Treachery in Death by J.D. Robb

Mar 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Recommended for: fans of the series
Read from February 28 to March 01, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Well, there are definitely changes happening - Roarke is more involved in Eve's job than ever, the rest of her support have come to accept that without questioning, not even Whitney or Tibble have much of an opinion on it. In this book Roarke convinces Eve to get evidence in non legal ways even though the investigation is about dirty cops and will be scrutinized in utmost detail when the publicity shit hits the fan.

This book had a non-entity as a villain, she was used as an anti-Eve in all ways and this was heavy-handedly pointed out again and again by Eve and her various helpers.

A nice touch was Webster and the Chief from Olympus getting together. I was worried this would mean instant death for these two support characters (they are not inner circle after all), but so far that didn't happen.

I liked the quick tiff Eve and Roarke had about that surprise dinner visit of Somerset's old friends. It sounded realistic and shows how their family dynamics keep evolving, as did Eve's realization of how little Roarke travels nowadays. The way that Mira blew up at Eve was great, also nice that she can make mistakes herself.

Another thing I liked was Peabody doing her first case as primary - I wanted to see more of her use in the main case, but liked a lot of what I saw. Eve is being groomed for a slow taking over of more authority by her author, so I expect to see her made Captain in the not too distant future.

I personally think the intro-case was much more heart-rending then the dirt that was dug up on the cops later - except in the case of the two female cops (one dead and one almost killed) under the enemy's command. I am getting the feeling that Eve no longer feels as deeply for the victims as she used to, no matter what her associates tell her, because we no longer get that side of her as an interior voice. We didn't see much of that retired hero father, so I couldn't develop the awe that everyone else had for him.

This time I could not believe that the incredible intricate final sting went off without a hitch (but I loved the appropriate use of Mavis and Eve's interaction with Bella) and I thought the cat fight at the end utterly idiotic and un-Eve. I could have seen Eve tempt the enemy into taking a swing at her so she could punch her out in one, but not the absurdity of the cat fight, which actually got a blessing-after-the-fact from Whitney.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treachery in Death.

message 1: by Sho (new)

Sho I also have to read this soon...!

Estara Heee ^^ - They may have come out on the same day, or at least within three days of each other. March is a good month for releases, obviously.

The new Martha Wells is also available at BAEN's Webscription already.