Susan's Reviews > Shatter

F 50x66
Jan 09, 2011

it was ok
Read from January 09 to 15, 2011

Things I liked: Initially, I quite liked the book, the characters, and the "magical world" in which they live. I liked the magical system and the way the politics of the world/countries are structured. It reminded me a lot of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, although not as good of writing or character development. Worth reading since it was free Kindle download.

Things I didn't like or started getting annoyed with further into the story: It's almost like the author tried to go for the Wheel of Time kind of setting and writing, but faltered halfway through the book. Some of the characters contradicted themselves and when all the characters came together and had more conversations, it was often cheesy, sounded forced and not like natural conversation should be.

May contain SPOILERS after this point.
I did not like how the 2 semi-important characters died at the end. I don't mind at all that they died, and I see how it was necessary and set up the next book etc. What annoyed me was the manner in which they died. They're centuries old and can see the future...how did no one foreshadowed their death in any way? That made no sense to me. Also annoying was the way their big discovery of treachery was handled. Messengers should be sent to the leaders of the other countries...important people should be notified, etc. There were some other parts similar to those that seemed to defy common sense and thus annoyed me.

Overall, I think the series has great potential...however the author and editor need to work on it to better develop the writing and storyline: Less cheesyness, less predictability, less contradictions, more common sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter.

01/12/2011 page 300
67.0% "Got this for free on Kindle downloads. So far I like most of the story and characters."