Chanelle's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: amazing-cover
Read from December 27 to 31, 2011

It must be so hard to have your debut book be SO successful because anything else you come out with has to be just as good, if not better. I don't think Perkins hit the mark with Lola. But that's not to say I didn't enjoy reading the book. I did. But while I liked this novel, I absolutely LOOOVED Anna.

I didn't like Lola as a character. At all. She was spoilt and selfish and really quite immature. I do think she hid behind her costumes and wanted to stand out and be different because she's not going to stand out as the beautiful one, like her neighbour Calliope. She's not going to be the smart one, or the one with the best body. So she'll be the one who wears the weird outfits. Fine, that's fine. I could handle that if she wasn't so effing stubborn! Everyone around her could tell how bad her boyfriend was for her, and even she had doubts, but she still strung him along. I actually felt bad for Max. He deserved more. I felt like he was given these bad points so the readers wouldn't feel so angry towards Lola for having feelings for Cricket.

As for Cricket, I found him sweet, strange and incredibly unrealistic of a male character! I wanted to believe in him, but I didn't. I couldn't. Everything he did was so...eye roll worthy. He was TOO perfect. TOO odd. But I did enjoy reading about him, so I suppose that made up for it. I think when he was doing her hair, that kind of put the icing on the cake for me. I did like his sister, though. I found her quite realistic in her attitude and her dislike of Lola.

Oh and I loooved Lola's dads. I found them both great characters to read about and they were incredibly realistic of protective parents. Max was definitely right. One father is bad, but two?! Terrifying. And though they were strict, I found them lovely. And their attitude towards Lola and her boyfriend's did make me like Lola a little more for having to deal with it. I want my dad to bake pies!

Although I didn't really enjoy reading about Lola as a character, I did like the story and it kept me entertained the whole time. I wanted Lola and Cricket to get together, because they were right for each other, but Cricket definitely deserved better. I liked that Perkins didn't hold back when it came to her characters and their feelings.

4 out of 5 stars. I'll definitely be checking out Isla.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.