Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > The Better Part of Darkness

Jan 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: uf
Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It took me awhile to get through this book. The world building is unique, and I can see where quite a few stories could be spun off from all of the threads in book 1, the problem for me is that there are too many threads.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS:
First there is the drug that leads to coma and death in humans, the interaction between all of the different types of beings (mages, sirens, djinn, "demons", "angels", regular folks), Charlie's family drama (the ex who wants back in, her kid in danger), her family history (her twin, her sister), genetic manipulation, politics, and so on. Things came together for the most part at the end, but it was a tangle. There is a lot left hanging, and I'm curious about the next book, but still on the fence since it took me so long to finish this one.

On the plus side, I did find Charlie to be believable as she came into her power, and in her love for her family and friends. That was endearing, and she showed strength as well as vulnerability.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Better Part of Darkness.