Slayermel's Reviews > Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began

Maus, II by Art Spiegelman

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: library, 2011, 20th-century, animals, biography, graphic-novels, history, male-authors, non-fiction, swedish, series, religion, true-crime, war, young-adult
Recommended for: anyone interested in the Holocaust and WWII
Read from February 04 to 05, 2011, read count: 1

The second instalment of Maus focuses on Vladek’s stay in Auschwitz and how he got through the whole ordeal to live on and tell his story to his son. This second part of the tale is a lot more disturbing then the first half, which was bad enough. We learn about the gas chambers and the ovens, and how poorly the people in the camp were treated. I can’t imagine how anyone who survived that ordeal went on to lead a normal life, which explains why Vladek was so frugal, though I think frugal is to light a word.
The description of the pits dug that prisoners were forced to climb into alive turned my stomach. I’m still at a loss of how anyone could force anyone to do such things, or treat anyone so cruelly and live with themselves.
I’m glad Vladek had time to share his story with his son before he passed away as I really think it helped their relationship in the end, it must have been hard for the son growing up and not being able to understand or relate to his father and his peculiar ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maus, II.