Joshua's Reviews > Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

Jan 16, 2011

bookshelves: afghanistan, americanforeignpolicy, america, americanpolitics, biographies, journalism, sports, war
Read in January, 2011

This book's strongest point is its descriptions of the chaos of actual battle in Iraq and Afghanistan, in its recounting of the killing of Pat Tillman and of some of the combat related to the Jessica Lynch capture/rescue. It also tells a pretty shocking story of the army dishonestly presenting events that happen in war to fit into its narrative. In the Tillman case it's particular strange because it's clear that the military leaders know they're not even going to get away with the stories they were spinning. The writing is fast moving and gripping. That said, I found Krakauer's choice of subjects to focus on strange at times -- why did we need a long description of the recount in the presidential election of 2000? -- and I think his attempt to weave Tillman's pre-war life into political events failed because Krakauer never tried to explain what Tillman thought about any of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Men Win Glory.