Robin Ripley's Reviews > The 100 Thing Challenge: How I Got Rid of Almost Everything, Remade My Life, and Regained My Soul

The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno

Jan 15, 2011

liked it
Read in January, 2011

This book could probably get 3 1/2 stars, but alas, there are no half-stars here on Good Reads. I applaud Dave Bruno's 100 Thing Challenge, although it often seemed too severe because he gave up things he later replaced or regretted losing. His minimalist wardrobe is probably not just boring but also, uh, gross. Someone should tell Bruno shoes need airing out between wearings.

Although some reviewers griped about Bruno's justifying his decisions to part with certain objects, I found his self-reflections the better part of the book. It forces me to ask the question "Why am I hanging on to this?" Bruno's attachment to his woodworking tools hit pretty closet to home. I have more than one set of hobby equipment around here that I'm sure will transform me into the person I want to be...if only I can become skilled at using it.

I'm not taking this challenge--wouldn't dream of it. But I will spend more time reflecting on purchases and my motivations to acquire things. All in all, a good book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 100 Thing Challenge.

message 1: by Patsy (new)

Patsy I love your review. I can't read all the books I want, and I appreciate your perspective.

message 2: by Ramona (new)

Ramona M Sounds similar to those "year of" type books. I too, would like to read every book but can't, and want to enjoy having less more.

message 3: by Sebastian (new) - added it

Sebastian Grama It is a nice book and has effect to those who turn their soul toward Christ.