Bonnie's Reviews > Pawing Through the Past

Pawing Through the Past by Rita Mae Brown

Jan 29, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2003

The thing you have to know about Rita Mae Brown is that she is a social activist first and a writer second. If you do not know this going into her books, you are going to find them preachy.

The cats and dogs in her stories talk to each other (though not to humans), and she will often put words in their mouths, such as how Congress is ruining this country, and why don't people get off their duffs and exercise through the noble sport of fox hunting? And I read it and go, "Oh, really, I will have to take my cat's advice on how to vote next time, and run right out and buy some thoroughbred foxhounds right away."

Once you've read it all so many times, you get tired of it and start to think, "Shut up, Rita Mae, and tell us who the killer is!"

That said, her books are page-turners. While her commentary is annoying, the Mrs. Murphy mystery books are all really good.

I have started to read a couple of Brown's other novels but found them too boring and/or full of social commentary to finish. One of them was Outfoxed and I can't remember the title of the other.

My favorite book in this series is Pawing through the Past, above.

I would rate any of her books PG-13. She never has explicit sex scenes, but there is a book that deals with child exploitation (I think it's Cat on the Scent) and in the later books in the series, there is a lesbian couple. Some of the murders are quite violent and bloody, and the language is generally pretty strong.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pawing Through the Past.