Isamlq's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jan 30, 11

Read from January 29 to 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Cheesey title aside, Across the Universe is different yet familiar all at once. It's fascinating how the writer took a lot of familiar elements put them together to come up with and Amy and Elder's story. What familiar elements? There's the sameness that the Eldest prizes but the Elder rebels against; that element of an exodus to a “new earth.” If I were to compare it to other novels, I’d compare it to Matched, Inside Out and another book that I can’t put my finger on. But it is so much better than those. Beth Revis took all of those, then voila, Across the Universe.

I liked it. I was surprised that it was as good as it was.

The alternating points of view of Amy and Elder were fascinating to say the least (to reiterate, I am a sucker for this.) My favorite portions had to do with Amy’s nightmare as she slept/did not sleep. It was all very Awake. That she was woken up at a time when she was not meant to be awake only to find herself literally isolated in a “land” where she stood out. Amy put it rather succinctly when she said she had woken from one box/prison only to find herself in another. Then there was the "Priya" moment.

Elder. Apprentice and leader to be. That he did what he did, made him imperfect and yet I found myself empathizing with him.

And you might find this strange but I found the old man, the Eldest, rather compelling. He was very accepting of his duty at the same time being very aware that all of them (himself included) were prisoners on the ship. And yet, he still led and protected the ship's people. I did not know if was to take him as cold and heartless or enlightened and burdened.

Across the Universe is surprisingly good.

01/29/2011 "yes!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ooh, tell me how you like this when you finish it! I've been looking forward to read it, so I'm hoping it's good. :)

Isamlq will do :)

Andrea Caro I can't wait to see what you think about it. I need to start this book already, ugh. I just need the time!

Isamlq im really excited about reading it... :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ooh, so you liked it? Awesome. Can't wait to see the review. :D

Andrea Caro I loved the review. I just started it today and you're so right - the nightmare parts of Amy's are the best, even if they are scary as hell.

message 7: by Say (new) - rated it 4 stars

Say is this good? i bought this a few days ago....havent read it pa.

Isamlq Say wrote: "is this good? i bought this a few days ago....havent read it pa."

better than expected.. read it b/c it's surprisingly good. :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Nice ... I'm excited to read it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

message 10: by Say (new) - rated it 4 stars

Say ok will do...though i dont want to read your review just yet...=)