Alexa's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: aussie, 2011-reads, borrowed, young-adult, favorites, series-i-love, own, signed
Read from October 11 to 12, 2011

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

It's been about two days since I finished this book, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. All I've been doing is skimming through the entire book and rereading my favorite parts and coming up with theories on how Melina Marchetta is going to resolve everything. When I started it, I stayed up really late the first day because I just could not put it down! It's definitely the fastest I've read through a Melina Marchetta novel. I can't say that taking my time and savoring it ever crossed my mind. EVER. There was no way I would have been able to do that. It was my most anticipated novel for 2011! And usually when I really love a book, I can't keep my mouth shut about it on GoodReads. But I'm glad I've managed to pretty much stay quiet about this book, even only for a little bit, so that I can go back and savor it this time and figure out what I want to say in this review.

Froi of the Exiles was as epic as Finnikin of the Rock but a whole different experience! It's HUGE. Not only does it come in at about 600 pages, but I felt like the story was even bigger because of the fact that Froi of the Exiles is from more than just Froi's perspective. There was a nice balance of chapters from other characters such as Beatriss, Finnikin, Lucian, Lucian's wife Phaedra...and we get a lot more characters through them. It was so great catching up with the characters from FotR (what happened with some of them exceeded everything I ever imagined and made me very happy!) and getting to know the new characters in FotE. I honestly could not decide who I wanted to read more about. Always at the end of each chapter I would start thinking: 'Noo! Chapter, don't end! I want to read more about [insert character's name here]!' But then I would start the next chapter and, by the time I was done with that one, I would think, 'Noo! Chapter, don't end! I want to read more about [insert character's name here]!' That's basically how it went for me throughout the majority of the book.

There are so many characters and relationships I would love to talk about... But I'll have to stick with a few because I don't want to end up giving spoilers.

- Froi and Quintana: These two have some of the most heartbreaking stories in the book. I wanted to hug and comfort them both. Froi has changed so much since he first appeared in FotR. He's such a great person and proves himself over and over again. Even through all the ridicule and trauma she's had to endure from her people, Quintana continues to do whatever she can to protect her country of Charyn. I really admired their strength. Both Froi and Quinanta want to feel worthy, respected, and loved. There is a romance between them, and I have to say it wasn't easy. Neither has experience with romance, and it didn't help that Froi didn't trust himself at first and Quintana didn't trust Froi. I loved reading about them and their developing relationship, and the way the book ended...let's just say I'm really rooting for them!

- Finnikin and Isaboe / Beatriss and Trevanion: Squee! That's all I'm going to say.

- Lucian and Phaedra: I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about reading from their perspectives. Phaedra's a new character, and while Lucian was in the previous book, I didn't really know his character. I thought it would take some time for me to warm up to them, but that wasn't the case! Both ended up being favorite characters of mine. Even though I wanted to slap Lucian in the beginning for the way he treated her, I came to understand why Lucian acted harshly and why Phaedra felt worthless. (I admit I was swooning a bit over Lucian... There's just something about him.)

- Rafuel: I had to give a quick mention to this character! This guy is cool. I really hope I'm not wrong about him, and I kind of hope he appears more in the next book.

Now, the cliffhanger. I didn't think it was a mean way to end the novel. Cliffhangers really don't bother me. They just get me even more excited for the next book. The last couple of chapters were pretty devastating when it came to certain characters. It was so sad! But having the epilogue actually made me feel a bit relieved for the most part, since at least I got to know what was going on with those characters before it ended. Plus, so much happened in the book, and there's many things left to be resolved that I don't believe the story would have been nearly as great if it the ending was rushed to make it feel like it had complete closure. And I loved where Finnikin of the Rock ended, but if I hadn't read Melina Marchetta's blog interviews or her website after finishing that book, I would've had no idea there was a sequel on the way. There would have been less time for me to get anxious and excited and fully prepared for FotE! And the fact that there's a cliffhanger means I can look forward to MORE, which makes me extremely happy.

Everything you expect from a Melina Marchetta novel can be found in Froi of the Exiles. It was amazing, and I loved it! If you haven't even read Finnikin of the Rock, what are you waiting for? I'm so looking forward to Quintana of Charyn, but I'm wondering how Melina Marchetta is going to top FotE! My theories as to what'll happen next haven't gone far... Good thing the next book is only about a year away from being released! Cannot wait!

Finally, big shout-out to Joy for letting me borrow her copy! THANK YOU! Be sure to read her awesome review of this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

Quotes Alexa Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Near the window, Finnikin stood with both hands against the wall, his head bent over her. As always, the intimacy between them made Froi ache.

"I promise you," Finnikin said. "I've already shouted at her and used a very, very reprimanding tone."

"I was quivering," the Queen said, stepping out from behind Finnikin.”

Melina Marchetta
“If he goes for my nose again, I fink I'll hang him up by his little balls,' one of the Guard said, getting to his feet. Froi tried to ignore the mockery.

'Nothing little about me,' he grunted. 'Don't take my word for it, Hindley. Ask your wife. She seemed happy last night, you know, with the size and all.”

Melina Marchetta
“A kiss is the prize?’ he asked sadly. ‘Even more than giving me the rest of you? It should be the other way round, Princess. In the real world, it's called courting. You let a lad kiss you and then you offer him more.’

‘Let me tell you something, Olivier,’ she said with tears of sorrow in her eyes, ‘this is my real world.”

Melina Marchetta
“Don't ever ask me again if I hate living anywhere with you and Jasmina. This Rock reminds me of the boy I was and being with you in the palace reminds me of the man I want to be.'

'Not just any man,' she whispered. 'A King. Mine.”
tags: love

Melina Marchetta
“I've been waiting for you all night and day,' she said.
Froi shivered. He realised that the words came from Quintana the ice maiden. Realised, as he felt his face heating up, that the idea of this Quintana waiting for him with excitement spoke to parts of him he believed to be dormant. And then she winked.
'Did I do that right?' she asked. Her smile was lopsided and he saw a glimpse of the teeth.
And Froi imagined that he would follow her to the ends of the earth.”

10/11/2011 page 1
0.0% "Thank you, Joy! <3 Wow...this book is huge. O.O"
10/12/2011 page 458
75.0% "Man...I cannot put this down! I don't want it to end. :'("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 51: by Alexa (last edited Sep 01, 2011 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa !!
MM posted the prologue & the some of chapter 1 on her site: http://www.melinamarchetta.com.au/mai...

And Penguin Books Australia posted the entire chapter 1 (it's long :D) without the prologue on their site: http://www.penguin.com.au/products/97...

I have nothing to say because I haven't read it yet, but I will in a few minutes! lol XD

Alexa I am reading it right now and AHHHHOMG I can't stop smiling! :D :D

~Tina~ GAH! I can't read that now!! But thanks for the heads up I'm gonna try to read it later:)

Alexa Finished and LOVED IT!

This book is going to be SO GOOD. Man... I cannot freakin' wait!

~Tina~ I'm gonna pre-order it from Fishpond. I'm not suppose to, but I don't care. I NEED that book in my life!

message 56: by Alexa (last edited Sep 01, 2011 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa ^Completely understand. :D

Has anyone read the excerpt? Thoughts?
There were some VERY nice surprises. :D And dude...Froi might just own Finnikin, and I'm glad because books in a series should keep getting better & better! X3

message 57: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy I just saw this available for pre-order in the United States. Amazon says the US release date is March 13, 2012.

~Tina~ Sandy wrote: "I just saw this available for pre-order in the United States. Amazon says the US release date is March 13, 2012."

If you don't want to wait till next year, you can pre-order it from Fishpond http://www.fishpondworld.com/Books/Fr...
It comes out next month. It might be more pricy, but it's free shipping. I can't wait for this book!:)

message 59: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Oh my gosh! I love this place! Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a source for Aussie books that didn't charge outrageous shipping.

Alexa That site is awesome for being the only one to sell actual Aussie books with free shipping! :D

message 61: by Nomes (new)

Nomes the US editoin will have a different cover too (can't wait to see what ~ but I liked the Aussie cover of Finnikin more than the US Finnikin ~ )

~Tina~ I think for the first time evah, I'm not picky with the covers. Just give me the words inside!!!!! lol

Alexa Okay, for real this time.
US cover: Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta

Still like the AU cover more, but I think Froi looks good. ;)

Tatiana Hmmm. I need some time to get used to it or see it on the actual book. I agree though, the Australian cover is better.

message 65: by Teccc (last edited Oct 10, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teccc Somehow the face on the cover reminds me of the actor Thomas Dekker which is not necessarily a good thing... ;)

~Tina~ ^^ Good call. He reminds me of of him as well and cross of Giovanni Ribisi for some odd reason.

I like the aussie one better too, glad I'm getting it;-)

Arlene Me too Tina.

message 68: by Alexa (last edited Oct 10, 2011 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa @Teccc & Tina: What? Noooo US Froi looks better than those guys. lol

~Tina~ Tehe! I know, but I can't help what my brain comes up with when I see a picture for the first time lol

Aly (Fantasy4eva) I'm all for Aussie froi. That cover is hot :D I wasn't swooning over Finnikin so I'm kinda counting on Froi! Hope it's better than the first book :)

Amber I like the Aussie cover better as well. I should be getting my copy soon. Im so excited for its delivery. I've been stalking my mailbox in anticipation lol.

~Tina~ Yes! 5 stars! That's what I wanna see XD!

Amber ^^ what Tina said!! I can't wait for my copy to get here.

Alexa It was awesome! I'm pretty sure you guys are going to love it. I think it was the fastest I read a MM novel...I just seriously couldn't put it down! :D
I might write a review. Probably a mini-review. I'll figure it out once I'm not so tired. lol

Arlene Yay! Five stars!!! I've been stalking my mailbox. It's maddness! :P

So glad you loved it Alexa. :)

message 76: by Luce (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luce Yay, I'm so excited to read this one...! =)

Joy (joyous reads) It was nerve wracking to review this book, isn't it? :)

Alexa @Joy: lmao! Yes it was!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Awesome review! Has me all excited. And hey, you're not the only one. I was a little unsure if I should even be. But I was major swooning over Lucian. Age or whatever, he's smexy :P

Alexa @Aly: Yeah, Lucian... Must be his voice. ;D lol I REALLY hope we get more of him in the next book. Because I need more. :D
Also, in a previous comment you said something about hoping to swoon over Froi. I can't say if you will or won't, but I think he had his moments. More near the end. ;) I'm assuming QoC will have Quintana's perspective, and I would really like to know how she sees him. :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Alexa wrote: "@Aly: Yeah, Lucian... Must be his voice. ;D lol I REALLY hope we get more of him in the next book. Because I need more. :D
Also, in a previous comment you said something about hoping to swoon over ..."

I guess I'll just be looking forward to Lucian then hehehe. Hmmm I'm quite curious to see how Froi and his love interest get on. Need to a copy asap!

Audrey (holes In My brain) I just finished this too, totally agree with this review. this book was amazinggggg!!!

Amber I got my copy of froi today!! Squeeeee. Great review Alexa!! I can't wait to start this

Alexa @Audrey: Thanks! Can't freakin' wait for Quintana! X3

@Amber: Yay! :D Wish the 24th will come faster. I really wanna know what yall think! :)

Amber Now that its here and staring at me, I'm having a hard time not peaking. Lol

Alexa You all have received it, right? Maybe the date can be moved earlier... 8D

Amber I'm not sure. I'd have to check on that. But it would be fine with me :). I'm glued to tempest at the moment. I want to know what's up with the dad

Arlene I've read your review twice now. Amazing Alexa! :)

♥Rachel♥ I guess you did read it, Alexa! Amazing review. I've been a little apprehensive about starting this because of the whole cliffhanger thing (I HATE CLIFFHANGERS) but your review has got me excited. I'm starting this as soon as I'm done with book 2 of Night Huntress! :)

« previous 1 2 next »