Andrea's Reviews > Telling Lies: Clues to Deceit in the Marketplace, Politics, and Marriage

Telling Lies by Paul Ekman

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: z2011_read_list, nonfiction, psychology
Read from January 09 to February 10, 2011

This one should have been really interesting. It's written by one of the scientists whose work serves as the inspiration for "Lie to Me", yet you haven't really experienced boring until you read upwards of 40 pages describing minute facial expressions. Also, I was disappointed that there was really nothing in here I hadn't already seen presented in a more interesting and engaging way. Were this a documentary, it would have been awesome. As a book, I just wanted it to end.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telling Lies.

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope McCormick Hmm, guess I won't add it then. It sounded promising.

CHRIS Try reading sigmund freud's the interpretation of dreams. Reading it for an month now and i want to end my life.

Andrea *laughs* Yes, Frued and Jung both have really interesting ideas...that are more engagingly explained by anyone but them.

CHRIS Yes, indeed. I believe Jung’s theories are much more coherent. But according to Freud dreaming about certain types of flowers is an indication of my unconscious desire to kill my father and marry my mother. Makes you think twice before going to sleep, YAKSS!!

message 5: by Federica (new) - added it

Federica Leva I'm too bored to read it. I hoped it was more intriguing. Moreover, all too often the teaching gets lost in a vague: "may be so, but also what". As a psychotherapist, I was hoping for a more instructive text.