Rane's Reviews > Wedding of the Season

1987431
Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: keeper, victorian-romance
Recommended to Rane by: ♡Karlyn P♡

Before I started to read or even picked up Wedding of the Season, I was already carrying two strikes against it. Strike One!: Since reading LLG’s And Then He Kissed Her and His Every Kiss, I haven’t felt drawn to any of her recent works, putting them aside to pick up something else. Never truly feeling the magic I felt with those two novels. Strike Two!: While I enjoy those second-chance/reunion romance stories, many of the recent works fall onto the cliché BIG MISUNDERSTANDING that broke the relationship apart or having someone drive the lovers apart etc etc. This got old quickly for me that I tend to stay away from said type novels. Wedding of the Season never made it to Strike Three for me, instead hit it out of the park with such a great storyline, with understandable characters and how their able to build back their love when given a second chance.

Six Years ago William James Mallory,The Marquess of Richfield (and would later become the Duke of Sunderland) is given the chance of a lifetime to go to Egypt to study and be a archaeologist. Wanting to take his fiancée Lady Beatrix with him, is shocked when she begs him to stay instead. Beatrix wants to stay and Will wants to go, and because of their different wishes and dreams, tears them apart. Six years later Will has return to England a different man, in need of money to fund the tomb site, when he runs into a very different Beatrix whose to marry another. This reunion starts off a chain reaction of return feelings that never truly went away and a second chance at forever for Will and Trix.

The setting and time period is one of my favorites, with the world of discovery and industry blooming. With cars taking over the roads, and women starting to come out of their marriage cages. WOTS having a modem touch, but not overwhelming the reader, but giving you a chance to look into the past.

With reunion romances, you know the main characters are meant to be with one another, but having to deal with a lot of bitterness when they parted is a given and both Will and Trix have a lot to get off their chests. Six years worth! Will thinks Trix was a bird in a golden cage, forced by her father to never leave, never takes chances in life after her mother left and never returned. Trix felt Will was to selfish in his dreams to think of how it would effect her and others, and both cases they were both right and both wrong.

Will knew in his heart Trix had the passion for adventure, and always knew he had her heart and love. Will took for granted Trix thinking she just follow, giving up her dreams. Will gets a huge wake up call when he returns and sees the wrongs he has done. Although he still wishes for Trix to be his wife and come with him to Egypt, he has a lot of wooing to do and a few more adventure to take Trix on to prove to her he loves her. I really liked Will, and grew to love his character. He kept pushing Trix to go out there and live, spread her wings and fly, while taking a step back to prove to her, that their love never died, and was willing to keep on fighting to prove it. It was beautiful how he went out there and proves over and over again his love.

Trix was a little harder to like at times, but once you got to know her story, you felt for her, and saw that she had dreams and expectations of her own and she wanted Will to be apart of that with her and for her to be able to be with her father. Her father cuddled Trix, making her scared to go out there and only after her father’s death did she start to spread her wings. Trix is torn between Will and Duke of Trathen. Between living her dreams, and adventure. The greatness I felt in this book was that LLG didn’t make Trix give up on her dreams of a family and her love for her home. I felt the compromise and finding the middle ground for Will and Trix to be together and live happily ever after was the true cherry topper of this book.

This series started off wonderfully and any doubts I had when I first started reading this book vanish into a puff of smoke. I can’t wait for the next in the series with Trix awesome, fun loving but sad cousin Julian and the straight lace Duke of Trathen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedding of the Season.

01/10/2011
100.0% "Cute and Fun! Review to come "soonish""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather Hope you enjoy!

Rane Heather wrote: "Hope you enjoy!"

thanks Heather, so far so "good!"

message 3: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Fab review Rane!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Great review, as always, Rane!

message 5: by K. (new) - added it

K. Wow Rane! Great review! :) And it's so "timely" because I just read "And Then He Kissed Her," my very first LLG book (thank you Cheryl! LOL! ;); have been exploring EVERY book by her now and feeling like she's a "discovery" (again ... thanks Cheryl! HAHA!). We've been kind of "long term" reading friends and since you're loving this one, I'm thinking I need to add it immediately! :) Wonderful review Rane, and thanks for "propelling me" forward! :D
K.

willaful Always nice to see someone really enjoying a book. :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ Yeah! So glad you liked. It worked for me too, and I loved the time era so much as well.

Rane AgentScully wrote: "Fab review Rane!"

Thank you Scully!

Rane UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great review, as always, Rane!"

AWW! Thanks Dhes! *hugs*

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane K. wrote: "Wow Rane! Great review! :) And it's so "timely" because I just read "And Then He Kissed Her," my very first LLG book (thank you Cheryl! LOL! ;); have been exploring EVERY book by her now and feeli..."

Your welcome K.! I think for me also LLG is a rediscovery, as I haven't been into her recent books, this really pulled me in and I highly recommend it for being new and fresh and not falling into the "norm" category of other reunion romances

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane willaful wrote: "Always nice to see someone really enjoying a book. :-)"

this was a total joy to read, Willa, I was happy my doubts about it were put the rest

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Yeah! So glad you liked. It worked for me too, and I loved the time era so much as well."

Thank you for your awesome review Karlyn or I think I would have pass this great book up! It was perfectly character driven and gave us a taste of what to hope for in the next book!

message 13: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Rane. LLG is another author I've never read. Should I start with And Then He Kissed Her or this one? Which one is your favorite?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Maybe I should try this. I haven't really felt drawn to her newer books either. I don't really like the premise of Then He Kissed Her, and some of what I read about their relationship. Thanks for the review, Rane.

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane. LLG is another author I've never read. Should I start with And Then He Kissed Her or this one? Which one is your favorite?"

Thanks Dina, I loved And Then He Kissed Her, and it's my favorite from LLG, and I think would be a great start for you or anyone new to LLG :D

message 16: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I don't really like the premise of Then He Kissed Her, and some of what I read about their relationship."

Do tell, Danielle. What have you heard about their relationship that "scared" you? If there's any cheating in that book?

message 17: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Rane wrote: "I loved And Then He Kissed Her, and it's my favorite from LLG, and I think would be a great start for you or anyone new to LLG :D"

Thanks, Rane. As you can see above, Danielle's comment made me pause.

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Maybe I should try this. I haven't really felt drawn to her newer books either. I don't really like the premise of Then He Kissed Her, and some of what I read about their relationship. Thanks for t..."

Thank you Danielle!
I think you'll enjoy the re-building of Will and Trix's relationship, it's more focus on them and how they deal with the changes and decisions they made in their life, and it's a really fun and cute book!

message 20: by Rane (last edited Jan 13, 2011 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I don't really like the premise of Then He Kissed Her, and some of what I read about their relationship."

Do tell, Danielle. What have you heard about the..."

There is no cheating at all in the book, what I think makes Danielle and other readers whom reviewed this that I came across leery about it is the premarital sexual relationship between the leads. This may seem odd as the heroine is pretty straightlaced and in a society that really looked down upon such action, it seemed out of character of one whom followed rules to a T. For me Emma was pretty much forced into following the rules instead of spreading her wings, and Marlowe was scared of getting married after his first marriage went down the drain, so both had plenty of scars and healing that needed to be done and I thought it was very sweet and well done on how it all balances out in the end..but you gotta read the story (^_-) But this is my two pennies worth and I can't speak for Danielle *huggles Dr.D*

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) *Hugs back at you, Rane* Hope I didn't hijack your review.

message 22: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks for the PM, Danielle. I understand your issues and I agree with you.

Rane, I have to say that I'm not comfortable with their premarital sexual relationship - not the way it is set up, anyway. I'll have to sleep on it.

message 24: by Rane (last edited Jan 13, 2011 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*Hugs back at you, Rane* Hope I didn't hijack your review."

Nah, I feel it's always good to have both sides before picking up a book and I respect your thoughts *hugs*

message 25: by Rane (last edited Jan 13, 2011 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Thanks for the PM, Danielle. I understand your issues and I agree with you.

It's no problem! Another book while a tad darker in tone is His Every Kiss, another fave of mine (it does has a small mis in it- but nothing big or bad or drags on and on..) and Dylan *swoons* what a heartbreaker! There's also this book Wedding of the Season both don't deal with same issues as And Then He Kissed Her *tucks two more books under Dina's pillow* ;D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'd suggest Guilty Pleasures. Although the hero is a bit dismissive of Daphne initially, it turned around nicely.

message 27: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I'd suggest Guilty Pleasures

Oh, I second that choice. This is one of my all-time-favorites. It was my first LLG read, and got me pretty hooked on her style and choice of characters. Her heroines generally seem to have more to do with their lives than sit around drinking cups of tea, and I always appreciate that.

Shawna Wonderful review as usual, Rane! I'm looking forward to reading this one. I third Danielle's and Ruth's "Guilty Pleasures" recommendation, and I recently read She's No Princess and really enjoyed it, too. :)

message 29: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I recently read She's No Princess and really enjoyed it, too. :)

Oooh, I think I have that one waiting for me on my new kindle.

message 30: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Oh, you "bad" girls! Here I go, adding more books to my Wish List...

message 31: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Wonderful review as usual, Rane! I'm looking forward to reading this one. I third Danielle's and Ruth's "Guilty Pleasures" recommendation, and I recently read She's No Princess and r..."

Thank you Shawna! This book really made me fall in love with LLG's writing, that am on a hype for the next in the series!

message 32: by Rane (last edited Jan 14, 2011 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Oh, you "bad" girls! Here I go, adding more books to my Wish List..."

^__________^ *grins* we're just sharing the joy of books with you Dina --is your credit card crying in the corner yet? LOL

message 33: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Rane, my credit card has been enjoying a nice vacation since last September and I'm not allowed to buy books until next July. I had to choose between my teeth and books, remember? :P

message 34: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane, my credit card has been enjoying a nice vacation since last September and I'm not allowed to buy books until next July. I had to choose between my teeth and books, remember? :P"

T_T Awww that's right..