skein's Reviews > Render Unto Caesar

Render Unto Caesar by Gillian Bradshaw

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: 3-star, 2011
Read on January 09, 2011

Young-ish Greek man visits Rome; gets tangled up in politics and plots; makes vehement speeches about citizenship, slavery, honor; meets brash female gladiator; falls in lust love; writes many sad-face letters to his daughter; returns home.
Gave it three stars, because it's terribly engaging, but it's not very *good* so feel as tho I am being dishonest. Hermogenes is just too freaking perfect. He's clever, he's brave, he's rich, he's forthright and honest. His slaves love him. Other peoples' slaves love him. He makes immaterial mistakes and prays feverently and OH MY GOD I WANTED TO SMACK HIM. (plus: he's cool with homo/bisexuality 90% of the time and lets out with a nasty slur, randomly, why?)

Characterization was an utter fail, & there were too many (useless) info-dumps; and thanks for pointing out how to pronounce your daughters name *yet again*; but the attention to detail caught me now and then. Like: a rag is stuffed in his mouth and it tastes of ashes and oil - it's a rag to clean armor (affecting to me, for whatever reason, but it's another irritant: how and why would Hermogenes know this?)

(1/8-1/9, 460 pages)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Render Unto Caesar.

01/09/2011 "Hermogenes did not believe in goddesses who kicked men in the balls and wanted a hundred denarii."