Ðɑηηɑ's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Jan 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classics, male-authors, read-in-hebrew, male-protagonist
Recommended for: Sensitive Dicknes fans
I own a copy

Really nice book.
Unfortunately, I read it at the age of 11 so it was quite a trauma for me, a story of a boy who indirectly lives on his own and have this creepy monster as a sister and I felt so sorry for him and wanted to stop because it made me too depressed (still, 11 year old) but I continued anyway, that's when I read about the dark house of M. (this time I mean Monster or MareBride) and its picture scared the hell outta me, again, I wanted to stop reading, but I decide to give it a last chance- so I read about the 'dark Bride (understandable, right?)' and then about the sort-of-love-feelings to the orphan (forgot her name, what was it, Asthla, or something like that?) of the dark lady, and THEN I stopped reading. Just couldn't take it anymore.. I mean, too much depression in one scary part of the book which was given to an eleven years old girl with completely No Reason nor sufficient Reading Experience (like, what? Did my aunt tried to freak me out or something??).

See? That's why it was mistake to give a Charles Dickens book to an eleven year old who, ironically, had already read 'lord of the rings' and Lisa See books and Jane Eyre and Robinson Crusoe. Alright, so this book totally hate me but there is no particular reason for me Not to recommend this book.
So, eventually, I would like to recommend this book, which is unreadable and unpleasant as only Dickens can get. And perhaps even beyond his own limits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Storm Your childhood sounds a lot more interesting than this book!

message 2: by Maddison (new)

Maddison Waring: Do not put it down I did somewhere in the 170 region and can't find my place