For Books' Sake's Reviews > Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays

Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith

Jan 09, 11

Read in April, 2010

The essays in Changing My Mind cover delightfully random topics like a trip to Hollywood during Oscars season, the arduous process of writing a novel and why Date Movie is the worst film ever made.

This being Zadie Smith, the writing is an absolute joy to read. Every sentence is considered without sounding laboured. There’s genuine emotion but not soppiness. And her signature dry humour peppers every page. But entertaining as Changing My Mind is, it’s more than just a collection of musings and half-formed thoughts. An account of her week spent in post-war Liberia is proper journalism, and Smith’s writing manages to lend an element of humanity to a collection of statistics.

If you’re a Smith fan and have kept a lookout for her articles, lectures and essays over the years, then you’ll recognise them in Changing My Mind. There’s little in the way of previously unpublished material here. But if you like funny, clever and insightful non-fiction then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t devour this book in one sitting.

(Excerpt from full review of Changing My Mind at For Books' Sake.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing My Mind.