Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > The Beach House

The Beach House by Jane Green

Jan 10, 11

Read on January 09, 2011

Some books just make you sigh happily and I am a sucker for a happy ending. Nan is a feisty sixty five who skinny dips in the neighbours pool and rides her bicycle back and forth into town. She pulls you into this sweet story before we are introduced to Nan's commitmentphobe son, Michael and a cast of unhappy individuals who take a room in Nan's beautiful Nantucket house for the summer.
The Beach House is a light, quick read despite superficially tackling some difficult subjects like adultery, sexual identity and gambling. The story has a satisfying predictability with just enough conflict to maintain interest. Each of the characters Green introduces has their own story, and all of them are presented sympathetically. It's may well be a bit melodramatic but nevertheless its a great escape read with a happily ever after.

Just a note: I took a look at the reviews and noticed many commented on the voice not being authentically American (Green is British). I din't pick up on it at all because being Australian our language is so heavily influenced by both English and American media that the mix of language doesn't seem out of place at all. Just thought that ws interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.