Tamanna's Reviews > Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: music, philosophy, psychology, recommended, science, owned, post-university-years
Read from September 04 to November 23, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Musicophilia.

Quotes Tamanna Liked

Oliver Sacks
“There are, of course, inherent tendencies to repetition in music itself. Our poetry, our ballads, our songs are full of repetition; nursery rhymes and the little chants and songs we use to teach young children have choruses and refrains. We are attracted to repetition, even as adults; we want the stimulus and the reward again and again, and in music we get it. Perhaps, therefore, we should not be surprised, should not complain if the balance sometimes shifts too far and our musical sensitivity becomes a vulnerability.”

Oliver Sacks
“Given her deafness, the auditory part of the brain, deprived of its usual input, had started to generate a spontaneous activity of its own, and this took the form of musical hallucinations, mostly musical memories from her earlier life. The brain needed to stay incessantly active, and if it was not getting its usual stimulation..., it would create its own stimulation in the form of hallucinations.”

Oliver Sacks
“Every act of perception, is to some degree an act of creation, and every act of memory is to some degree an act of imagination.”
Oliver Sacks, Musicophilia: La musique, le cerveau et nous

Oliver Sacks
“The inexpressible depth of music, so easy to understand and yet so inexplicable, is due to the fact that it reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain...Music expresses only the quintessence of life and of its events, never these themselves.”

Oliver Sacks
“There is certainly a universal and unconscious propensity to impose a rhythm even when one hears a series of identical sounds at constant intervals... We tend to hear the sound of a digital clock, for example, as "tick-tock, tick-tock" - even though it is actually "tick tick, tick tick.”

09/05/2011 page 20
09/09/2011 page 80
20.0% "This book is giving me some nightmares about musical hallucinations, 1984-style! I never realised how traumatic it could be, to be plagued by a musical earworm constantly for four years, so much so that it interferes with everyday life. Most hallucinations don't corroborate with any overlapping neural activity. Amazing, very interesting book."
show 12 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tamanna Oliver Sacks' scientific stories are a true joy to read.