Cinnamon's Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, fantasy, flamingnet, series, vampires, young-adult, 3-mildly-enjoyable, reviewed
Read from July 27 to August 03, 2011

This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

Since the Rose accident, Sydney has been branded as a disgrace in the Alchemist community. When Keith -- that arrogant jerk -- shows up with a method for her to redeem herself, Sydney jumps at the chance. The pair is sent to California as guardians for Jill, the Moroi princess who has recently suffered and barely survived a brutal attack. Posing as students in an obscure private school in Palm Springs should be an easy task. However, a chain of events have already been set into motion at this sunny “haven,” and the Alchemist-vampire posse is right in the middle of it.

Perhaps I’ve been subconsciously persuaded by the scathing Bloodlines reviews out there. Or maybe I just felt like Last Sacrifice was the conclusion of Vampire Academy, and spin-offs wouldn’t do the original series justice. I have no idea.

But Bloodlines failed to impress me as much as its predecessors did.

You notice right away that the Alchemist Sydney, who has now inherited the important job as narrator, lacks the sarcasm and attitude that characterizes Rose. This naturally causes the reading to seem a bit dryer and less humorous. I’m being petty here, as the character Sydney is supposed to be serious and obedient, but this little observation did contribute to a lower rating than the standard 4-stars I’ve been giving the rest of the Vampire Academy series. It’s hard not comparing the two.

Even with a different set of main characters -- aside from Adrian -- Ms. Mead still manages to stun with wonderfully done plot twists. I admit: I was cocky and seriously thought I had the entire plot figured out about a quarter through the book. Never have I been more wrong, and I apologize to Ms. Mead for underestimating her. I thought the novel did start out a bit slowly and ended up putting it down multiple times in the beginning. I was hooked eventually.

Although Bloodlines is a teeny step below the rest of the Vampire Academy series, it is worth reading for the thrilling conclusion. Old fans will be glad to see Adrian back in their lives, too (I know I was).

Book Source: ARC via Flamingnet
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

message 1: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza I'd say I was jealous but I still haven't read the VA series so I'll hold off on the jealousy. ;)

Cinnamon I have a feeling you would dislike VA. It's quite... frivolous? I know lots of people complain about that. I like it, though. Good fluff reading.

message 3: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza Nah, I read the first two books. It grew on me. I actually bought the entire series.

Cinnamon *.* Go read the rest of the series! I like the last few books the best.

message 5: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 27, 2011 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy Darling What Cinnamon said, Nafiza! Rose does a lot of growing up in the books. I really love the series, the books are so much fun.

I'm reading Bloodlines right now too, Cinnamon. This should be interesting.

message 6: by Nafiza (last edited Jul 27, 2011 09:52PM) (new)

Nafiza I will! After the gajillion other books I have to read. I checked out The Name of the Wind by Patrich Rothfuss. I've heard that it's absolutely amazing. Have you guys read it?

Cinnamon Hopefully Bloodlines is as good as VA. I'm not digging the cover, though. Come to think of it, I dislike all of VA's covers...

Woah, The Name of the Wind has an abnormally average for 18000+ ratings. Adding to toppling TBR list.

message 8: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza I know right. It has to be good. VA has some of the ugliest covers everrrr. But then again, I've learned that pretty covers hide some very not so good books. Hur.

Cinnamon Yeah! I would NOT bring VA out to read in public. The publisher should do something...

message 10: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza Haha. I don't care what people think about my reading material. At school, everyone's reading these high lit books like say Camus, Cohen, amongst others and I'm reading something YA and totally frivolous. Haha.

Cinnamon I love YA and shall continue to read it even when I'm old and wrinkly and have lots of very attractive grandchildren HA.

message 12: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza I like how you specified the attractive. ;)

Cinnamon With me as their grandmother, what else is to be expected?
LOL I kid, I kid.

message 14: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza Oh very true. ;)

message 15: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza eeee. you're so lucky! how'd you get your hands on it?! :D

and yeah, i've a feeling the books will get awesomer as the series goes on. just finished the second one--SO. GOOD. a lot better than the first. :)

Cinnamon Got it via Flamingnet. It's this site that sends ARCs/review copies to teen reviewers (for a bit of money each year, though)...

I'M EXCITED FOR THIS. Kind of. Haven't gotten much reading done this week.

Sashana I'm going to ask before I read the review, is it spoiler free?

Cinnamon Yep:). Doesn't say anything that you won't find out in the first 10 pages or so.

Wendy Darling Bloodlines failed to impress me as much as its predecessors did.

Yep, this is how I felt, too. *sigh*

Cinnamon Wendy Darling wrote: Yep, this is how I felt, too. *sigh*"

More Adrian would have made it better. But alas, it was not to be...