Sharon's Reviews > Red Heat

Red Heat by Nina Bruhns

Jun 09, 11

Read from June 07 to 08, 2011

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

I absolutely loved Bruhns Passion for Danger series so I have been anxiously awaiting the release of 'Red Heat', the first book in the Men in Uniform series.

CIA analyst Julie Severin has been given a field assignment to board a submarine, pose as a reporter writing about the international scientific team studying the effects of global warming on the pacific arctic and locate a hidden mini SD card, not an easy mission when she has an irrational fear of water and a true dislike of Russians, holding them accountable for the murder of her father.

Captain First Rank Nikolai Kirillovich Romanov is a decorated officer of the Russian Navy and from a politically suspect family. He is in charge of commanding the Ostrov, an ancient, broken-down submarine; a demotion after his last mission went wrong. He has orders to find out why a CIA agent has been sent on a routine, unclassified expedition and to do it by any means necessary.

Julie had been railroaded into a mission she was unprepared for and ill equipped to deal with; she was pitted up against Nikolai who was smart, irresistible and completely relentless. She couldn’t lie if her life depended on it so her top-secret mission wasn’t so secret for too long.

I enjoyed Nikolai and Julie as a couple, who would have thought operatives from different agencies and countries could make the relationship work; the odds were certainly against them but their chemistry and attraction was instantaneous and I loved the Russian terms of endearment he used with her.

Red Heat is a fast-paced adventure through the Bering Seas filled with intrigue, action, mystery, politics and a steamy hot romance.

I love Bruhns writing style, you can tell she has certainly done her research.The dialogue was smart and witty and held my interest and the plot kept me riveted and I absolutely love the scorching hot man candy on the cover!

A great start to a new series, I am looking forward to reading Clint Walker’s story in White Hot which is due to be released in 2012.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Heat.