J.F. Penn's Reviews > Origin

Origin by J.A. Konrath

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: thrillers, horror

Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/origin-by-j...

I’m a sucker for anything remotely spiritual or related to gods or demons. With a beginning quote from revelation I was hooked!

Plot Overview (no spoilers): When the Panama canal was being excavated a 12 foot long casket was found, marked with strange symbols. Inside was a creature of indescribable horror, alive but lying dormant which was transported back to the US and kept in a secret location in New Mexico, Project Samhain. Now, the Devil has woken up, a massively muscled, winged, hooved demon of nightmare - and the government wants to talk to him.

Great plot escalation from initial ‘friendly’ encounters with the residents of the facility, to Bub’s feeding time with the unfortunate sheep and his miraculous resurrection powers, through his speaking English, to his access to the internet where he learns all he needs to know about modern humans. He manipulates each of the characters expertly finding their weaknesses and then exploiting them.

There’s a Rabbi and a priest who debate theology, the origins of the devil myths and whether the creature is a demon or Satan himself. They ask him questions about what he has seen down the ages and the way he manipulates their faith is brilliant. I love theological discussion - it’s one of my favorite addictions!

What’s cool about the book: Brilliant premise, the government conspiracy, characters trapped within the facility, the devil on the loose. I enjoyed the discussions around what Bub is with the different characters representing different perspectives from theological to biological. The book also switches scenes and point of view characters so we get to see Bub from the different perspectives and how he impacts their lives... and their deaths.

It’s a thriller on the edge of horror with a high body count, some parts are incredibly gory, but I’m don’t like really graphic violence and I found this very enjoyable to read.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origin.

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Sherrod This sounds fantastic! Like a scarier Tim Powers novel. Thanks, Joanna!

message 2: by Johan (new) - added it

Johan Aulin Sounds just like my kind of thing! I'm putting it on my wishlist right away!