Laura's Reviews > Seeds: One Man's Serendipitous Journey to Find the Trees That Inspired Famous American Writers from Faulkner to Kerouac, Welty to Wharton

Seeds by Richard Horan

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in February, 2011

I really wanted to like this book, but the author's voice kept getting in the way. Rather than focus on the writers and their homes and surroundings, the focus is on him collecting seeds. At times, the voice is too self-satisfied when a more distant tone was more called for (the Walden Pond episode, for example).

Early on he says that "no trespassing" signs won't stop him, yet later they do; we also get quite a lot on how he responded to the work of Robert Frost, but his personal response to Krishnamurti is not there (we do get quite a bit about his response to Krishnamurti's house and the docent there).

I'm also hoping that his publisher has explored the legalities of his taking seeds from Mount Vernon after it was made clear to him that this was not permitted. And then there's the question of moving seeds from one state to another (if I can't bring firewood from my parent's house 200 miles away, how can he bring seeds - including invasive species - thousands of miles?).

ARC provided by publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds.