Mary's Reviews > The Anatomy of Ghosts

The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew  Taylor

Jan 08, 2011

bookshelves: historical-mystery
Read from January 08 to 14, 2011

This was well written and held my interest to the end. I had only a few quibbles, one of which I can specify without it being a spoiler.

At one point, Taylor wrote something like: "He left the two young men to talk among themselves." At that moment, I felt my skin actually crawl. It's a small thing, I know, and probably of interest only to grammar pendants and, perhaps, writers, but I believe when you are referring to two of something, the correct preposition is "between," not "among." It jarred me enough to lose my connection to the story for a time.

Another issue or two were plot points that I found a bit unrealistic. I may write a longer review at some point, at which time I'll try to be more specific, but I'll have to think of a way to say it without giving away anything important in the story.

Finally, the ending was uncertain and, at least for me, unsatisfying.

Still, I'm glad I read it, if only for the historical details as opposed to the characterizations or mystery.

Note: I gave it a 3.5 star rating on LibraryThing, but, having to rate it either 3 or 4 on GoodReads, I'd rate it 4 rather than 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomy of Ghosts.

01/08/2011 page 266