MG2112's Reviews > Gabriel's Inferno

Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard

Jan 08, 2011

Read from April 21 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 11

What to say about this wonderful book? When I read, I enjoy losing myself in the atmosphere, finding that I can "see" what is being played out before me on the page. This book and this talented author have that just ability. From the beginning, I was hooked; a poet longing for a woman, his muse. A passing of two people, a bright smile and he is forever lost. Fast forward to the present, where an irksome and pretentious bastard of a Professor berates his seemingly meek and mild graduate student. Why? What could she have possibly done to receive such treatment? Immediately I found that I wanted, no needed, to know why the Professor was so angry. An overheard phone call immediately made me change my feelings about the both of them. (I will divulge no more, you have to experience this level of captivation.)

From that very moment on, I found that I needed to read more and more. This was a book that I could not put down. With each chapter, a little more peeled back and revealed. The characters grow and develop. To me they felt like real people; like people I could know, not some contrived character created to do amazing and astounding things as often seen in the popular literature. They experience true pain and hurt, but they also are capable of receiving and giving love, even for feeling hope. There is so much more beyond the surface of these characters.

The reading of this novel rekindled my love of Dante and the Divine Comedy. It has awakened a deep desire to visit Italy. More times than not, I felt as though somehow the author was able to write in a way that resonated deeply for me. He was able to describe feelings I had and have held deep; how was he able to express so exactly what I could not say myself. I felt a closeness and connection with these characters that has me longing to learn more about them and where their journey will take them into the sequel. And of course, I must add that the presence of a snarky narrator kept a constant smile upon my face.

Beautiful, touching and enchanting writing – this book deserves to be read and enjoyed. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Inferno.

Quotes MG2112 Liked

Sylvain Reynard
“Sometimes goodness doesn't tell everything it knows. Sometimes goodness waits for the appropriate time and does the best it can with what it has.”
Sylvain Reynard, Gabriel's Inferno

04/23/2011
04/15/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Sylvain (new) - added it

Sylvain Reynard Thank you, Miss MG, for your very kind review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the story.

All best, SR,

MG2112 You know, I wish I could write a review worthy of your novel. My words feel woefully inadequate. I deeply love what you have written.

As always, I thank you.
MG :o)

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie By reading your review alone I can't wait to get this book and start reading it! :)

message 4: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette I think you two are best friends... I thought 50 shades was cringe worthy, but this Gabriel's Inferno has been poorly written. :/ I bought this on ebook because of the above review. I will not trust reviews from now on.

MG2112 I have no idea what brought you to my review, but I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the read. You are entitled to your opinion.

Ta-Tanisha Most amazing book I've read in quite some time! Profoundly breathtaking and thought provoking!

message 7: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb The saga of Gabriel and Julia is just pure love and devotion. Just a wonderful book I found hard to put down from the first page. I found myself in tears because this book touched every emotion possible! To be honest, I was first turned off, thinking this book was about a Professor and his student, but it really wasn't. It's a wonderful story, running parallel to the life of Dante, which gives it an extraordinary edge! If you love 50 shades, you'll love this better! Hope to God, there's a third book to come, having a hard time getting into another book, read these two books twice, and just as emotional the second time!

message 8: by Gertrude (new)

Gertrude Someone stole this review and posted it on Amazon: