Karen's Reviews > Lockdown

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith

Jan 08, 11

Read on January 08, 2011

OMG!!! Another amazing book! I am so glad that I bought this book and I cannot wait for the next one to come out...

This book is a horror/creepy/action book and it does not disappoint. It is the first book in a 5 book series and these books will definitely be pre-ordered asap.

Alex is the main character in this book and he is framed for murder and sent to The Furnace Penitentary. A prison that was built 5-6yrs ago to house kids (up til the age of 18) that are convicted of serious crimes. There is no parole at this prison, so once you are sent here you will stay here until you turn 18, when you are then transferred somewhere else.

This book is about Alex trying to acclimate to his new surroundings and trying to fit in with the new people he is housed with now.

Alex holds onto the hope that he will leave this place someday and is constantly keeping his eye open for someway to escape.

The first half of this book is about the different things that go on at the prison and it introduces you to the different characters in this book. There are some really creepy characters in this book, including the warden, the guards and some weird people that come sometimes in the middle of the night. *Warning: if you are prone to nightmares, do not read this book before bedtime.* I couldn't put this book down and was constantly either at the edge of my seat because of the non-stop action or gripping the covers because of the horror/creepiness in it.

The second half of this book was about Alex discovering a way to escape and him and his friends making a plan and executing that plan. Although the book ends right before you find out if they escape or not....what a cliffhanger!

There is so much that goes on in this book that you won't want to stop reading. The detail in this book is amazing and the character development is great. Although Alex did annoy me at times because of how stubborn he is!

Please, if you haven't read this book yet, go out and get yourself a copy and start reading asap....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lockdown.

01/08/2011 page 104
38.0% "What a fast paced, action filled book so far!"
01/08/2011 page 200
73.0% "This book is amazing! But I don't know, I may have nightmares since I reading it before bed.... : )"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Just letting you know there are around 5 books in this series. They are all out on the uk.

I only started looking for them when I read your review and have ordered the first 3.

Karen The second one just came out in the US in December. : (