Amy's Reviews > Sink Reflections

Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley

Jan 17, 11

Read in January, 2011

I was a bit reluctant to give this book 5 stars, because it isn't exactly amazing literature. In fact, I felt that it wasn't even very well-written in some parts. HOWEVER, considering the tremendous impact this book has had on my life, I couldn't give it anything less than 5 stars. This book is not for everyone, but it is GREAT for people like me whose perfectionism gets in the way of truly being productive around the house, and people described as SHEs ("Sidetracked Home Executives") who have great intentions but are constantly distracted and sidetracked, moving from one thing to the next but never really getting anywhere. I had a lot of big "light bulb" moments while reading this book - suddenly I understand why I have been feeling so frustrated and overwhelmed with things around the house. Now, instead of feeling like a job isn't worth doing if I can't do it perfectly (which just makes me feel so overwhelmed that I don't even attempt it), my goal is to just make progress every day. Along with helping me have some major realizations about myself, it offered great suggestions on getting organized and being productive, which I have been putting to use with great success. Since reading this book I have been more productive than I have been in ages, because I am seeing things differently and doing things differently. This book helped me adopt a different mindset, and that has made all the difference in the world for me (and my family... after all, a happier Mom makes for a happier husband and happier children! Everyone in this house is happier now!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sink Reflections.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I'm glad that it helped you. It is easy to get discouraged when you have small kids and have toys and other misc. things all over your house.

message 2: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I'm so glad you've read this book! I haven't read it yet, but I've been FLYing for several years now. It's truly amazing how much those simple little concepts - like 15 minutes - can literally change the life & happiness of you and your family. Kudos!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Sarah wrote: "I'm glad that it helped you. It is easy to get discouraged when you have small kids and have toys and other misc. things all over your house."

Thanks, Sarah! It was actually because of our conversation at the reunion that I went on a quest for some books to help. I found the book about the whole 3x5 card thing you told me about ("Sidetracked Home Executives") as well as this one. I read this one first, and Marla Cilley (the author of this book) actually credits the authors of the other book for helping her get organized in the first place. I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ashley wrote: "I'm so glad you've read this book! I haven't read it yet, but I've been FLYing for several years now. It's truly amazing how much those simple little concepts - like 15 minutes - can literally ch..."

Thanks, Ash! If you are already familiar with the whole FlyLady thing, then this book will probably be nothing new for you. I had heard of the FlyLady before but didn't know anything about her or her system, so this was a great introduction/overview for me. I'm now getting the emails and using the website. It has helped me SO MUCH!!