Goldie's Reviews > Children of the Mind

Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

F 50x66
Dec 03, 13

Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** As I was progressing through the Ender series, I couldn't help but feel that the writing quality was diminishing, but I never suspected that the series would end on such a sour note. Children of the Mind is a mind-numbing book with its drawn-out pompous attempts to explain human nature and imitate negotiation, but the worst part of it is how it butchers its character personalities. The plot might pass if the dialogue wasn't so unbearably cheesy (i.e. the use of the tackiest dialogue as the chapter titles). Also, the portrayal of different planets having all having specific ethnicities in the book seems quite racist.
Scott's characters contradict themselves and seem very stupid although they are supposed to be extremely intelligent.The descriptions of faux-Peter's angst is highly unemotional and is put into such cut-and-dry whining terms that countless times I had to shut the book. And the Chinese symbol (the left side is dragon and the right side is a version of arrow) in the front of each chapter seems like a stuck-up stamp for an "amazing" chapter. It's like tying a bow around your writing to show how good it's supposed to be, which is just lame, especially for a book this bad.
By attempting to meld so many cultures,attitudes,"philosophy", and even "super-geniuses" with such boring and trivial ideas and conversations, I couldn't help but think that either Card has let the success of his sole enjoyable book,Ender's Game, inflate his ego and therefore destroy his writing, or doesn't know what on earth he is talking about.
I didn't enjoy a single phrase from the entire book. which tries to explore emotional concepts that seem artificial or at best, shallow. I loved Ender's Game and I'm sorely disappointed. It's like whenever an author's name is printed larger than the title, you know the book is going to be overrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Mind.

Carlos "...whenever an author's name is printed larger than the title, you know the book is going to be overrated." Made my day!