Cris's Reviews > Spun By Sorcery

Spun By Sorcery by Barbara Bretton

Jan 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy, elves-faerie, fantasy, magic
Read from February 20 to 22, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed the 'road trip' portion of the story a bit because Bretton has a very smooth, flowing style and I like Chloe, Luke & Janice. But. And this is a big but. I couldn't bring myself to care about the ultimate goal--retrieving Sugar Maple. Frankly, I thought Chloe and Luke would be much better off without the damn town. And I really, *really* resented the whole 'must prove your worth to guard the town'. The worst part? 'Proof' that Chloe's unworthy to guard the town was that she focused on saving a child's soul from the worst sort of eternal imprisonment and torture imaginable. See according to Samuel, Chloe should have have ignored the child's plight instead of allowing herself to be distracted from 'guarding' the town. (Not that saving the child endangered the town in any way, shape or form.) Ugh.

Samuel's appearance was a cop out--something of a 'deus ex machina'. And the climatic battle for the leadership of Sugar Maple was anticlimactic and confusing. (Although I'll admit I may not be the best judge since I was rooting for Chloe to lose.)

The introduction of Luke's family felt like a meaningless diversion. Overall, I sincerely doubt I'll read further in this series if Bretton writes further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spun By Sorcery.