Lindsay's Reviews > Bloodlines

Sep 04, 2011

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, books-i-own
Read from September 03 to 04, 2011

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

I was DYING to get this book for months! It would be more dramatic to say years but I only discovered the writing goddess Richelle Mead. It took a few years for me to fall in love with the Vampire Academy world that she had created and once I had finally read Rose's story, I just had to go out and buy all the other five immediately after. Thank god they were all out. And I practically screamed when I discovered that Richelle was going to be writing another series that took place in this world. I had so much faith in this series because this writer has always impressed me with her writing.

There was only worry I had when I read the description oh so long ago: Sydney.

When I first read about Sydney in Blood Promise - which was tied with Last Sacrifice as my favorite vampire academy book - I didn't really know what to think of her. I was so put off by her that I was actually nervous for this book. But I trusted that Richelle would not let me down with this book so I put it to the top of my to read list.

And let me just say: I LOVE SYDNEY. Undeniably. I instantly clicked with her when she introduced her hatred for Keith and as the story continued, my respect for her grew. There were moments that made me love her so much that I wished she was my sister. I loved how protective she was, how strong she was, and how willing she was to overlook her prejudices for those she cared about. Even if she wasn't perfect, reading this from her perspective made me so happy. She may not be as passionate as Rose but she's a fighter and that's what counts.

That being said, I can't stand her father. Really I can't. He didn't even seem to care for any of his daughters and there was not one redeeming quality about him. I have no idea why her mother was still with him. We didn't really get to see much of her or Zoey but I'm hoping that will change in the future books.

But overall, I HATE KEITH. Seriously, I have never in my entire reading experience witnessed a character I despised so much. I wanted to set him on fire. I wanted to beat him. I'm just thankful he had what was coming to him at the end. His idle threats to Sydney pissed me off to no end but what really made me grind my teeth was the "father/son" relationship between Sydney's father and Keith. Treating him like the son he never had and using double standards really made me think how many people do this. It was interesting to finally see it in writing.

We also saw some old faces that made me excited: Abe Mazur. Rose's dad. He always makes me laugh. But I feel like he's still got secret ulterior motives that have yet to be discovered. Rose also showed up :D It was so weird to see Rose through someone else's eyes. I really can't wait to see more of her in the next books. We also got to see Jill. We never really got to meet her officially so it was nice to see more of her.

But what really made me squeal was my undying love for two men in this book: Adrian Ivashkov and Eddie Castile. I fell madly in love with Eddie after what happened to him in Frostbite and I was so happy to see more of him in this book. I hope he finds love because he deserves it after all the heartbreak he's been through. He is also really bad ass in this book. Love him. And I love Adrian. I have the perfect picture of him in my mind. He's just so...flawed. Him and Sydney...they have some chemistry. They're great together. Can't wait for more from the two.

Overall, I loved this book. We were never really introduced to the world of the Alchemists but I'm happy it was explained in the plot, as well as the whole business with the tattoos. And although the mysteries were predictable at times, they were very well executed. The plot was so incredibly exciting - a bit slow at times but whatever - and I am itching for the sequel, The Golden Lily which doesn't come out until May...I don't know if I can wait that long.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

Quotes Lindsay Liked

Richelle Mead
“Yeah? Can you draw a skeleton riding a motorcycle with flames coming out of it? And I want a pirate hat on the skeleton. And a parrot on his shoulder. A skeleton parrot. Or maybe a ninja skeleton parrot? No, that would be overkill. But it'd be cool if the biker skeleton could be shooting some ninja throwing stars. That are on fire.”

Richelle Mead
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." (Adrian)”

Richelle Mead
“You look confused," said Adrian.
I shook my head and sighed. "I think I'm just overthinking things."
He nodded solemnly. "That's why I try to never do it.”

Richelle Mead
“Jailbait," he declared, leaping up. "You're a saint. A goddess, even.”
Richelle Mead, Bloodlines

Mockingjay ooh! i just finished reading its incredible!

Lindsay Argh I'm so busy! Everytime I try to read it I can't! :( I can't wait to read about Adrian though...and everyone else of course too.