Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)'s Reviews > The Brotherhood

F_50x66
Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: tyndale, reviewed
Read on February 19, 2011 — I own a copy

Boone Drake is a young probationary police officer in one of the most dangerous precincts in Chicago. He has a great partner, a wonderful wife, and a healthy, gorgeous baby boy named Josh. Within two years, as he begins to make a name for himself, he and his family buy a house with "just enough grass to mow" - their dream starter house. Life couldn't be better, and even though his pastor would like him to be more active in witnessing for God, HE would like to be more active in fighting the bad guys, the grown-up equivalent of the "schoolyard bullies" he protected other kids from in high school. Then tragedy strikes, and everything and everyone that he loves is lost or put in danger.

This is my second Jerry Jenkins' title. This proves that sometimes even when you don't particular care for one novel, the next novel can grab you. I was immediately pulled into this story and felt such sympathy for the main character. It's a well-written, multi-dimensional look at the life of a police officer, the crimes and criminals he deals with, his co-workers, his family, and his search for faith after his faith has been shattered by a profound loss. A wonderful police thriller, the reader will gain much appreciation for the world our police officers live and work in.

Not just a great story, but a lesson is here as well, one that should help all of us in faith. Although we can't always understand why God allows bad things to happen, He will never turn from us, even when we turn from Him.

QUOTES

One moment he had been enjoying the life and marriage and family and career he had always dreamed of and striven for, and the next he had lost everything that mattered to him except his job. And even that, at least for now, held no appeal.

These gangbangers were little more than grown-up versions of the bullies Boone had taken care of as a schoolkid. Oh, for the chance to do that again now, these days, when it really counted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brotherhood.

02/19/2011 page 67