Austin's Reviews > Black Swan Rising

Black Swan Rising by Lee  Carroll

Jun 16, 11

Read from March 28 to April 01, 2011

I read this in April, but I am just getting around to reviewing it. After watching the film, Black Swan, I loved the movie so much that I looked everywhere to see if it was based on a book. Unfortunately, it wasn't. But instead, I found this book. And it was awesome!
So this book opens up with our main character, Garet James entering a strange antique store. In the antique store, Garet is persuaded into opening a silver box with a swan symbol on it by the store owner, John Dee. Strangely enough, the swan symbol on the box looks identical to the one on her ring that she wears. What Garet doesn't know is that opening the box has unleashed an evil force that will cause massive destruction.
This book does have a slow pace, but it is kind of necessary. It's not an action packed thrilling adventure filled with excitement, but it's about Garet's transformation from an ordinary woman, to a fierce evil huntress.
The characters in this book had a great balanced development. I found myself shocked whenever a new character was introduced, because some of the characters' backstories are very shocking and interesting.
Going into the writing, I was pleasantly surprised to find it detailed. Well, most parts were detailed, but some wern't. That made it very infesting to read.
Plot points in this book were very creative and captivating. There were a few refreshing twists and turns that kept me turning the pages. I found myself sometimes aggravated though with the slow pacing.
Now, the ending was really unexpected. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen to Garet and her friends. But what made me mad was Will. He was slightly acting like and idiot. I am still very excited to read the second book, though!
Elemental Breakdown:
Ending: 9/10
Score: 42/50
Grade: B
Rating: 4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Swan Rising.

03/28/2011 page 35
9.0% "Wow, this is very good."
show 4 hidden updates…