Haleema 's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Jan 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classics, brilliant-story-telling, great-writing, love

Rice is considered to be the well-regarded mother of ancient vampire literature. Numerous people suggested that if I wanted to read about “real vampires”, not the glitter balls in Twilight, I had to try something by Rice. So I did.

Interview with the Vampire is a book regarding a young boy who interviews a vampire. Hence, the title. The book centers on the confessions of the vampire, Louis, who explains his past, his transformation into a vampire, his experiences, etc. Lestat is the sharp, impulsive vampire who is Louis’s mentor, and the man who was responsible for him becoming a vampire in the first place. I, personally, did not enjoy my time with Louis, who filled majority of the book with his dull conversation skills. Poor, poor interviewer… Louis was extremely boring and had an obvious lack of flamboyance. I enjoyed reading about Lestat, though.

Rice’s prose was very rich in detail. However, she doesn’t have too many unnecessary details that impair your mind. She takes imagery to a whole new level, and I’m a huge fan of her epic writing.

Overall, I would give this one a three. If only Louis was a bit more entertaining, otherwise I would have given this a slamming four. However, he plagued the book with his monotony. Also the plot was mediocre. The wonderful writing was what made me continue to read. Will I read more, since this was the first book of The Vampire Chronicles? No. I simply wished to have a small, delicious bite out of Rice’s vampires. I was fairly pleased with them. I would highly recommend Interview with the Vampire to those readers who are aching for the original vampires that are written incredibly well and portrayed gorgeously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

08/01/2011 page 3
1.0% "Okay, Rice! Show me what you got!"
08/02/2011 page 20
6.0% "I'm liking it so far."
08/07/2011 page 50
15.0% "My God. Louis is boring as heck. I hate him." 1 comment
08/10/2011 page 85
25.0% "I'm losing my strong will to read on. The narrator is boring as hell. Ugh..."
05/29/2016 marked as: read