Diana Leigh's Reviews > The Truth about Vampires

The Truth about Vampires by Theresa Meyers

Feb 28, 11

Read from February 19 to 28, 2011

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Theresa Meyers' latest release offers an interesting twist on vampires. What if they were created by a virus? This is one of many secrets that reporter Kristin Reed uncovers as she searches for her next big story. Seattle has been plagued by a string of murders labeled the Bloodless Murders, because the victims are found drained of blood. Clues lead her to a club where she discovers that vampires are real, and they have been living secretly amongst humans for centuries. And the incredibly sexy club owner? A vampire.

Dmitri Dionotte is trejan for the Cascade Clan, the one responsible for their secrecy and security. Dmitri knows the ones responsible for the murders are revier vampires - enemies of his clan. Afraid that humans will see all vampires as evil if the truth behind the murders is discovered, Dmitri decides to use the Kristin as a way of revealing his clan's peaceful existence to the world. He wants people to know that not all vampires see themselves at the top of the food chain. Dmitri's plan puts Kristin in great danger as the reviers want to remain secret, and they will do anything to stop her.

The plot of The Truth About Vampires was complex. Vampirism caused by a virus. Vampire "ichor" used to heal injured and sick humans. Ichor being sold on the black market. A turf war between good and evil vampires. And caught in the middle of it all was Kristin, a reporter just searching for an amazing story to prove she is equal to her male counterparts. The author did a nice job tying all of that together for an exciting, fast-paced story. There were a few "huh?" moments in the book where I just didn't understand why things happened, but overall this was a quick and enjoyable read.

What about the characters? I liked Kristin. She was smart and determined, but also insecure and desperate to prove herself as a journalist. Dmitri was certainly a drool-worthy hero - flawed, tortured, irresistibly sexy (smelled like chocolate!). I was especially taken with his backstory of how he became a vampire. There was strong erotic tension between Kristin and Dmitri. I could definitely feel their lust, but love? I'm not sure. They went from strangers to bond mates a bit too quickly. The one character I thought was lacking was the villain Vane. I wish he would have been developed more. I really didn't understand the motives behind his actions, or if he was really that evil (for a vampire). The Truth About Vampires is the first book in Theresa Meyers' Sons of Midnight series. I'm hoping to learn more about her world of vampires in future books. I have my eye on a couple of secondary characters. I would love to hear their story...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth about Vampires.