Jen's Reviews > One Drop of Blood

One Drop of Blood by Thomas Holland

Jun 03, 2008

bookshelves: coroner-medical-examiner-foresic-an, male-author, favorites
Read in June, 2008

I thought this book was absolutely outstanding. I listened to it on audiobook, read by Patrick Lawlor. He was phenomenal. I believe he is my favorite audiobook reader to date. He truly made the book come alive.

Thomas Holland's crime fiction novel involves an anthropologist from the Central Identification Labratory in Hawaii (CILHI) and a black-sheep FBI agent from New York City. The two characters find themselves in small-town east Arkansas trying to solve their respective cases.

The regional colloquialisms in this novel were hysterical. And the dynamics of all the characters were exceptionally well developed. His characters were human, and that I admire above all else in a good story. The interaction between Kel and Levine contributed to the humor of the story, but it also contributed to the realism.

The setting was so realistic, I almost found myself scratching jigger bites, too.

Holland made me laugh, he tugged at my heart strings, and he kept me guessing. I did figure a few details out early, but there were plenty of surprises awaiting me throughout the plot.

The plot was very well focused; I don't recall any elements throughout this novel that I felt could have been safely eliminated without harming the story.

I am DEFINITELY looking forward to Thomas Holland's next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Drop of Blood.

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim thanks! I'm another audio book reader & knowing the reader is a good one is a real plus, something I have to find out for myself all too often. John Lee read 3 of Clavell's Asian Saga & was FANTASTIC. Nancy Wu turned the PNR Queen Betsy series into a delight.