Adrien's Reviews > The Sherlockian

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore

May 02, 11

Read from January 08 to March 03, 2011

Two good stories in this book - but what I really enjoyed, and what really made me want to read this book whenever I could was the type of language Moore uses and the imagery he invokes. Throughout the book, there's also a theme of moving from the romanticized Victorian era to the 20th century. At the very end of the book, two workmen finish putting electric bulbs in the streetlights on Baker Street.

'"Oi," said the taller workman. "That's it, then."
"I'd say so," replied the other.
"Lord, but it's sure bright, isn't it? I can't hardly see the fog anymore."
His partner simply nodded in agreement. It was as if a layer of gloom and dread had been stripped from the streets, leaving the city white and clear. But the vision of this white and sparkling street was odd, too, and neither man possessed the words to explain why. So much that had been hidden was revealed in the electric light, so much had been gained. But perhaps something had been lost as well. Perhaps, both men though but did not say, a part of them would miss the romantic flickering of the gaslight.'

This isn't really a review, just a passage I really liked. Maybe it's just because I love London so much that I liked this book as much as I did. But the words are wonderful as well.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sherlockian.

03/01/2011 page 260

message 1: by LP (new) - rated it 2 stars

LP Now I want to read it.

message 2: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Sounds great! I love your review and that passage. Great imagery.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Wow that's beautiful. How many stories are in the book? It sort of concerns me that you said only 2 were good. It sounds like good writing, though.

Adrien Megan wrote: "Wow that's beautiful. How many stories are in the book? It sort of concerns me that you said only 2 were good. It sounds like good writing, though."

Oh - sorry! What I meant was that there are two stories in the book and both are good.

Ms.pegasus Glad you selected that passage. It really makes the ending satisfying in a way that "solving" the two cases didn't.