Beth Pearson's Reviews > The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine

4205576
Jan 10, 11

Read in January, 2011

This quick read (maybe 3-4 hours?) was great. I kind of wanted to give it 5 stars, but the "It was amazing" part scared me. I decided maybe I was thinking 5 stars simply because I've read some crappy books lately. : ) Either way, I very much enjoyed it.

Apparently, I really like stories of race interactions as I've read a lot dealing with black vs. white. Add the South to it and place it before segregation ended and I really, really am interested to see what happens. The theory of it all is fascinating to me. Would I be as "kindness to all humans" as I am now or would I too, be part of the white superiority and segregation ideals? It's always amazing to me the depth of some's cruelty and the no limits of other's goodness.

The story is written for adolescents and came out in 2009, I think. The author got the story idea after reading her grandfather's memoirs of his expeiences growing up during this time period. Set during WWI in small town, Alabama, it is a great read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shacoria You read this whole book in 4 hours? Wow, you read fast.

Beth Pearson I know some a lot faster then me cause I don't actually speed read. However, when I really get into a story, like I did this one, I ignore everything else and just read, read, read! I suppose it is good that it doesn't happen to every book cause then I would never get anything else done but reading. But, when it does happen,especially when it coincides with a "slow day", it's awesome---I always slow down at the end cause I can see from the number of pages left, that I am almost done and I hate for the story to end!