Steve's Reviews > Zombie Spaceship Wasteland

Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from January 08 to 15, 2011

8JAN11. Just started this two days ago on audio. It's OK. I'm a HUGE Patton Oswalt fan, and his writing style is tack-sharp as it is on his blog, but what he's writing about here...harassing a weird co-worker? Granted the chapter I'm listening to is about his youth and mistakes made so I'll cut him some slack. I don't know how the Michael Stipe lyrics are playing in the printed versions, but in the audio book they're a bit trying, despite being read by Stipe himself. Oswalt's reading style is similar to his comic delivery, so that will feel quite familiar to fans. (I can't imagine anyone else reading this and keeping a straight enough face to get through it! And what would THAT be like, if I may digress...a professional reader laughing where the author intended the reader to laugh...)

And you don't have to listen to Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" or REM's "Life And How To Live It" or "Kohoutek" to appreciate ZSW, but it might help.

More to follow...

15JAN11. Finished the audio, and it's the first time I'd finished an audio book and regretted that I hadn't gotten it in dead-tree form. Only a little regret though; If you're a fan, listening to Patton read his own words is pretty entertaining, even if you do miss what are clearly visual jokes and references.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Spaceship Wasteland.