Danna's Reviews > Orange Is the New Black

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: recommended
Read in June, 2010

The title of Piper Kerman's memoir appealed to me immediately: she took it from a New York Times Fashion spread titled the same, that a friend of hers sent her during her stint in federal prison. My mother sent me the same fashion page in the mail, as orange is one of my favorite colors (albeit not in prison jumpsuit form).
Kerman is a Smith-educated woman whose past comes back to haunt her almost 10 years later. In her youth, she dated a woman - Nora - heavy into international drug-trafficking, and aided Nora(minimally) in a couple of transactions. Kerman escaped the relationship unscathed, and went on to lead a pretty typical, middle-class existence.
This is the story of Kerman's time in prison, and how she managed to make it through the her 15-month stay. It is a wonderful depiction of relationships, both the women she met in prison and her completely devoted fiancee, Larry. Of course, it also details some of the prison's horrific treatment of prisoners.
The book lends itself to a sequel, as I"m incredibly curious about what Kerman's life is like post-release.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange Is the New Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Buchanan thanks for the recommendation